Battle What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i have tried every single one of them for 1 month so far no problem at all.
but i can't decide which one should i go with. they are really very good products.

I

illumination

I only can talk about my own experience with Kaspersky, can't talk about ESET...

Kaspersky in "Default Settings" is usually quite weak in my opinion, but properly tweaked (specially for advanced users) is quite strong...
This could be said of any product at default settings. Both of these listed above are quite good protection when advanced settings are tweaked.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This could be said of any product at default settings. Both of these listed above are quite good protection when advanced settings are tweaked.
Fully agree, that's why I said have no experience with ESET ;) but probably there are some products that even with tweaked settings are not enough :unsure:...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

ESET IMO has the best Firewall of any suite. You can granularly block virtually every protocol used to subvert a system.

Other than the Firewall, I found it lackluster, and would prefer a properly configured Kaspersky.

Just to add, I'd pick G Data Total Security over either of them though. Much improved BB, light as a feather, secondary engine, good firewall (on high security), etc. But since that wasn't an option. Kaspersky.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The "Best" AV for you might not work at all for someone else. It all depends on different factors, for example your system configuration, computing habits, being the user who wants to run his security software out-of-the-box at it's default settings or you enjoy playing with settings and you're ready to tweak the hell out it until you find what works best for you and for your system. :D

Tried both of them several times and I believe they're both great programs with high protection, but at the moment I'm running KIS because it works best for me, at least for now.

Last edited:

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
Here is my own experience if your system can support Kaspersky without any problem, go for kaspersky for better protection on dangerous malware due its better in behaviour detection more then ESET especially in terms of ransomware even though it does miss certain new risen ransomware during the first time discovery of the ransomeware variant. but still it blocked most of it.

However if you look for lightness and a certainty in prevention of Potential Unwanted Application such as adware, and so called lesser dangerous malware like trojan like so called "Shortcut virus" or the latest variant call "kaspersky internet security virus" go for ESET. They are quite good too. Even though their behavior detection is not that good, but they have reputation to discover those malware and added to their database as fast as 30 minutes after the discovery, which is really fast.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Eset is just a robot who queries database 24/7 (No proactive whatsoever) ..whereas Kaspersky is a complete av suite..with Industry Leading Proactive technologies..but let me give you a glance
ESET
Pros: Great Signatures even for Latest 0 days (Complete Signature Based with Great Cloud)
Attractive UI And Good Heuristics(Though i have never seen it working)
Advanced automated Firewall & HIPS is a Troublesome(Never enable it)
Pretty light on the system (Since it is written and based on C language)
Cons :
No proactive Modules
BB doesn't exist
Weak Anti Ransomware Modules( Dependent on Signatures that's it)

KASPERSKY

Pros & Cons : Continuous leader in tests and innovater and totally AUTOMATED
BB just works Awesome and its ROLLBACK is quite capable (100%)
Sys watcher saves u from any kind of nasties(High Certainity) even OFFLINE
Capability of Disinfection rather than Deletion
Based on my personal use and tests ... KASPERSKY is my choice(y)
Thanks

KeZa

Level 1
Mar 3, 2018
I do not think there is a better AV than the others. I have tried a lot here on Xp and the best for me on this OS where ESET and now AVG. They are both good and if we get into the AV test than it makes not really what you take IF you now the your computer in and out. There are plenty of people that now there sh*t and they do not use any AV anymore. It slows always some down or here and there a bug. No one is perfect and all the tests that are out there are not the way it works in real time so even a top 10 AV product is fine but if you do not know much than maybe is Kasper or BitDefender the way to go... Here on Xp and with a lot of downloading and shopping over the world I must have come across one malware or virus alert. Not once in this +15 years I had one incident that comes out of the blue and that tells you also something but I have done my research and I know how to play with it

D

Deleted member 65228

Eset is just a robot who queries database 24/7 (No proactive whatsoever)
Advanced automated Firewall & HIPS
If ESET only query a database, how come they have support for a Firewall component and a Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) component? You acknowledged these features yourself in the second quote, yet in the first quote you said (and I quote) 'ESET is just a robot who queries a database 24/7'.

Furthermore, ESET have support for exploit protection and they also have UEFI bootkit scanning technology.

D

Deleted member 65228

Based on my personal tests and experience since i used both especially ESET..i know most of his part and how he works...its my personal OPINION..
Eset is no where with Kaspersky...:)
That's perfectly fine, but that isn't all of what you said initially - I quoted two parts above which is what I was focusing on. You implied that ESET does nothing except query a database, which isn't the case, and then later contradicted yourself by acknowledging that they can do more than query a database. They have support for other features in their software, whether they are enabled by default or easy for a novice to use is another matter.

I was just clearing up any doubts someone may have after reading your post because it wasn't necessarily clear.

No hostility intended.

I personally prefer Kaspersky to ESET though as well.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
That's perfectly fine, but that isn't all of what you said initially - I quoted two parts above which is what I was focusing on. You implied that ESET does nothing except query a database, which isn't the case, and then later contradicted yourself by acknowledging that they can do more than query a database. They have support for other features in their software, whether they are enabled by default or easy for a novice to use is another matter.

I was just clearing up any doubts someone may have after reading your post because it wasn't necessarily clear.

No hostility intended.
If u found a ESET BB detection till date..plz send me a screen shot..or post a pic(atleast 1)...Search on google or else watch our AV testers videos
Then i would agree ;)..All the points above are 100% truth...

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
They have Advanced Memory Scanner, inbuilt Sandbox and UEFI scanner!also the Eset Cloud isn't only a simple signature base protection.it can anzyle the Behaviour of malware.Right not that good dynamic protection but that cloud works better than some Avs With BB(see MH).
YES they have it..probably never works...similar to avira (Behaviour Sensors)....
They have almost all the advanced features(in options)...not in real time...Its firewall is awesome and its great signatures
thats it..Its ransomware is almost dependent on signatures..

YES they have it..probably never works...similar to avira (Behaviour Sensors)....
They have almost all the advanced features(in options)...not in real time...Its firewall is awesome and its great signatures
thats it..Its ransomware is almost dependent on signatures..
To be honest i never saw any sort of DIFFERENT detections a part from Signatures in Real time....till date..
every av has its pros and cons... should be accepted

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.