Q&A What is the best offline Malware scanner and Remover (not cloud engine) with top detection rate?

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by KillerSpy007, Jan 3, 2018.

1. KillerSpy007

KillerSpy007 Level 1

Dec 29, 2017
    India
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    I just need to know a Second opinion offline scanner with best detection ratio?Is Kaspersky Virus removal tool good? or Malwarebytes is better?

Syafiq and Opcode like this.
  2. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    First off, there's no best on-demand scanner. Performance and detection ratio will vary constantly because each vendor has different resources, different team members, different encounters with malware in the wild, different shifts, etc.

Secondly, you can use 2 on-demand scanners if you'd like. Some people even use three or four, but I'd say one or two is enough.

I like HitmanPro (HMP and Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) (of course unless you're already using HitmanPro.Alert which has an anti-malware engine or Emsisoft Anti-Malware), and after this my preference would be Zemana Anti-Malware (Free) and Norton Power Eraser/Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free).

Zemana Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free versions) supports on-demand scanning. You could use one or two and setup scheduled scanning, or run a scan quickly each week.

Many people started to dislike Malwarebytes after they tried to become a full AV replacement but I still like them, but their scanner is very slow even for me and my system resources are powerful. The fastest scanners I've seen though (for me) which are still extremely effective would be HMP and EEK.

Only thing is HMP uses the Bitdefender engine and so does EEK alongside their own engines as well. HMP also uses the Kaspersky engine and I believe another one.

mlnevese, Syafiq, Umbra and 6 others like this.
  3. KillerSpy007

KillerSpy007 Level 1

Dec 29, 2017
    India
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    But HMP and Zemana AM have cloud engines.. so they are not offline! I perhaps will not have data connection everytime to scan! Need offline scanners with strong signatures

Syafiq and rockstarrocks like this.
  4. Malware Person

Malware Person Level 4

Jun 8, 2016
    United States
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    I use Hitman Pro and Zemana. Used to use malwarebytes but ditched it after the changes it went through (became to heavy to run on my pc)

Syafiq and rockstarrocks like this.
  5. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Did you check if your/clients Primary AV vendor provides an offline scanner tool, or rescue disk (ISO for CD/USB)?

Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal
    > Large download (approx. 300 MB)
    > Extract to desired location
    > Update definitions on first run

Malware Removal Tool 2018 | Free Cleaning Essentials from Comodo
    > Importing Antivirus Database
    > Download Latest Additions - Comodo Anti-Malware Database

Help protect my PC with Windows Defender Offline
    > Runs scan before Windows
    > Offline included in Windows 10

Source: When Do I Need to Use an Offline Malware Scanner?
    "If both primary and second opinion scanners fail to detect a threat that you are confident still remains on your system, then it might be time to employ an offline antimalware scanner."

Syafiq, Umbra, maanastr and 1 other person like this.
  6. DeepWeb

DeepWeb Level 9

Jul 1, 2017
    Nurse
    On a journey
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I would say Norton Power Eraser if by best you mean the most aggressive/high detection rate. Even slightly suspicious files and programs are going to fall victim and you need to know if those files are truly malicious or you will break some of the software you have installed.

Syafiq and maanastr like this.
  7. maanastr

maanastr Level 3

Mar 1, 2013
    India
    Dont search more for Malware scanner otherwise you will get confused. My sugestion is go for Emsisoft Emergency Kit. It is more powerful, strong and portable.

Syafiq, KillerSpy007 and Umbra like this.
  8. MatrixArmour

MatrixArmour Level 1

Dec 30, 2017
    India
    Windows 7
    Microsoft
    My vote goes to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Syafiq and KillerSpy007 like this.
  9. Iapepe

Iapepe Level 4

Mar 17, 2013
    Romania
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  10. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Hello, I use(and recommend) Malwarebytes+HitmanPro.:)

11. edon

edon Level 1

Jul 6, 2017
    kosovo
    Kaspersky virus removal tool .

12. Syafiq

Syafiq Level 7

May 8, 2017
    Student
    Indonesia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Doctor Web Cure It !, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, WD Offline :)

KillerSpy007 and Umbra like this.
  13. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit will be the best choice then.