What is the best Rescue Disks (Boot Disk) to recover windows when its not starting or having errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I recently changed windows permission on C drive, and after restarting, windows showed BSOD 0xc0000021A error code, and I boot from windows recovery disk, but it doesn't show if there is an OS so I couldn't recover it.Finally, I had to reinstall windows. Fortunately, I had a backup yesterday! What is the best recovery disk I can use in a situation like this in the future?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I recently changed windows permission on C drive, and after restarting, windows showed BSOD 0xc0000021A error code, and I boot from windows recovery disk, but it doesn't show if there is an OS so I couldn't recover it.Finally, I had to reinstall windows. Fortunately, I had a backup yesterday! What is the best recovery disk I can use in a situation like this in the future?
The best recovery disk is the one made by Macrium Reflect 7, make sure your recovery disk is from the latest update, because they improved it. Just install the trial version, and make yourself a recovery disk. After booting from the CD, you will see a tab at the top for boot repair.

Changing permissions is one of the quirkiest things in Windows. Drove myself crazy over it yesterday. Fortunately, I did not touch the C drive, and I don't know if anything will help, if you do. The recovery disks repair the boot difficulties, but if you don't have permission from Windows, that's a different issue.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Never change drive permissions or mess with Windows system files.

Windows users should know well enough to leave some things alone.

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Like NormanF said, don't mess with those things in the first place. Windows, in theory, does not break boot. It's usually some stupid antivirus that blocks the boot up or a program that is messing with your registry. I use AOMEI backupper. I have my backups on another drive and AOMEI can be flashed to make a bootable USB. From there you can just restore whatever image you have.

Alternatively Windows creates a pretty good recovery drive, too. Just search for "recovery drive" under Start and you will find it. Make sure to check the setting to also store all system files on the drive. That way it can repair your Windows copy. But, in my experience, restoring an image with AOMEI takes less time and doesn't leave you with any new issues.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I always keep 2 copies of my back up: one in USB drive and another one in cloud.
Same time I also make a start-up drive for window on USB drive as well.

This way you won't get caught off-handed.

PS: make sure you have a set of license key for installed softwares copied somewhere as well.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sometimes there is a valid reason for changing permissions. But you have to be careful, and it's good to make backups, like @CMLew said.
One interesting thing I recently discovered is that the permissions applying to drives are stored on that drive itself. So if you restore your C drive, this will not restore the permissions that you changed for other drives.

Reactions: ItsReallyMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.