Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
Actually, if someone uses only a home pc with router, is it necessary to use a vpn (except to unblock content)?

Last edited:
Operating System
Linux Mint
Antivirus
Comodo
I'm surprised no one mention the veteran Hotspot Shield? Good speed, stable software, admittedly not the most featureful android client, not the best customer service.

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
Why would this change anything?

VPN is for privacy from your ISP aswell as the WWW.
I agree, but mostly promoted to use it in unprotected wifi (cafe,airports etc.)for identity stolen and other risks..In a safe router not so much.

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Main: Windscribe

Secondary: None. I am still looking for a secondary VPN though.

Operating System
Windows 10
I agree, but mostly promoted to use it in unprotected wifi (cafe,airports etc.)for identity stolen and other risks..In a safe router not so much.
Im not sure how you come to that conclusion,

a VPN encrypts both incoming & outgoing traffic whilst masking your Computer's IP & location.

Router's do not encrypt & dont mask your computer or location - No browsing Anonymity

The extras of geolocation & getting around DPI's to access websites you can't are just little bonuses that VPN also offer.

The only way a 'Safe Router' could compete is if it came with an included VPN service.

crezz

Level 5
Verified
Operating System
Other OS
Antivirus
Norton
I only have much expeprience of Freedome and Windscribe and both are good. I have tried Avira Phantom Pro and found the software to be very basic and also buggy. It also installs other Avira bloatware. The connection speeds were OK but the applicaton itself is rubbish in comparison to other VPNs I have tried.

I think the best way to increase your anonymity would be to use two VPN services at the same time (one on your desktop, the other on a browser extension). I could do this using F-Secure Freedome (desktop) and Windscribe (browser). Then no individual VPN will know your browsing habits.

I suspect that a nation state could spy on you whatever VPN you choose to use. They undoubtedly have advanced technology and methods which are not in the public domain. But unless you are engaged in serious criminal activity or live in an opressive country then I wouldn't worry about it. My concern is more with criminals and unscrupulous companies using my browsing data.

Operating System
Windows 10
I only have much expeprience of Freedome and Windscribe and both are good. I have tried Avira Phantom Pro and found the software to be very basic and also buggy. It also installs other Avira bloatware. The connection speeds were OK but the applicaton itself is rubbish in comparison to other VPNs I have tried.

I think the best way to increase your anonymity would be to use two VPN services at the same time (one on your desktop, the other on a browser extension). I could do this using F-Secure Freedome (desktop) and Windscribe (browser). Then no individual VPN will know your browsing habits.

I suspect that a nation state could spy on you whatever VPN you choose to use. They undoubtedly have advanced technology and methods which are not in the public domain. But unless you are engaged in serious criminal activity or live in an opressive country then I wouldn't worry about it. My concern is more with criminals and unscrupulous companies using my browsing data.
That isn't 2 VPN's - Thats a VPN & a proxy extension.

a proxy does not encrypt any data, so it's still just the 1 VPN service that's performing that task.

The only advantage I can think of using a Proxy alongside a VPN is the proxy masks the VPN IP - Which would only help if you dont trust the security of your VPN supplier & their data servers & no logs policy.

a proxy alongside a VPN is IMO only handy if you use a VPN service directly on your Router & wish to use Geolocation features frequently.

Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
Im not sure how you come to that conclusion,

a VPN encrypts both incoming & outgoing traffic whilst masking your Computer's IP & location.

Router's do not encrypt & dont mask your computer or location - No browsing Anonymity

The extras of geolocation & getting around DPI's to access websites you can't are just little bonuses that VPN also offer.

The only way a 'Safe Router' could compete is if it came with an included VPN service.
I am just saying that because it's my home router and not a public one I feel more safe with it. So maybe there is not too many reasons to mask my identity to avoid hacked routers.

Operating System
Windows 10
I am just saying that because it's my home router and not a public one I feel more safe with it. So maybe there is not too many reasons to mask my identity to avoid cyber criminals.
If you dont trust an Open Wifi connection with your important information you send on the internet, why would you trust your own ISP?

Both are sending your un-encrypted data to someone you dont know & who know's what they're doing with it...

Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
If you dont trust an Open Wifi connection with your important information you send on the internet, why would you trust your own ISP?

Both are sending your un-encrypted data to someone you dont know & who know's what they're doing with it...
Because in an open Wi-Fi thousands of people in a day are connected, how can you trust a hot spot instead of you own router.

Operating System
Windows 10
Because in an open Wi-Fi thousands of people in a day are connected, how can you trust a hot spot instead of you own router.
I dont trust either, thats the point.

as i said, its no different that all your un-encryted data is going to someone, somewhere who you dont know, trust & have no idea what they'll do with it.

You think 'YOUR NETWORK' is yours, all your data is yours - Its not.

encrypt your data, get a VPN. :)

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I dont trust either, thats the point.

as i said, its no different that all your un-encryted data is going to someone, somewhere who you dont know, trust & have no idea what they'll do with it.

You think 'YOUR NETWORK' is yours, all your data is yours - Its not.

encrypt your data, get a VPN. :)
I agree with both points that a VPN should be used for both public and private networks, and also that private networks such as your own routers are generally safer than public networks.

Your own router is generally safer than a public wifi solely because you know how your wifi is configured but a public wifi can be configured incorrectly or configured to steal data passing through it through a man in the middle attack.

When you are using a VPN with a public network, you are using it to protect your data as well as to mask your identity.

When using a VPN with your home router you are mostly using it to mask your identity, it is highly unlikely that your router at home would be a man in the middle router unless you have somehow lost control of it.