HarborFront

Level 44
Content Creator
Verified
I only have much expeprience of Freedome and Windscribe and both are good. I have tried Avira Phantom Pro and found the software to be very basic and also buggy. It also installs other Avira bloatware. The connection speeds were OK but the applicaton itself is rubbish in comparison to other VPNs I have tried.

I think the best way to increase your anonymity would be to use two VPN services at the same time (one on your desktop, the other on a browser extension). I could do this using F-Secure Freedome (desktop) and Windscribe (browser). Then no individual VPN will know your browsing habits.

I suspect that a nation state could spy on you whatever VPN you choose to use. They undoubtedly have advanced technology and methods which are not in the public domain. But unless you are engaged in serious criminal activity or live in an opressive country then I wouldn't worry about it. My concern is more with criminals and unscrupulous companies using my browsing data.
Before you use any VPN extension please check whether the VPN extension is leaking your DNS and WebRTC below

VPN Leak - VoidSec
Many VPNs Leak Your DNS Through Chrome Extension

toto

Level 3
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I use VPN Unlimited from Keepsolid, does anyone have any experience with it, I mean does anyone know if it's a good vpn or not?

HarborFront

Level 44
Content Creator
Verified
Hi all

After reading your discussions on Open WiFi Connection (hotspot) vs ISP here are some pointers

Open WiFi Connection (hotspot)

In public hotspots thousands of people are using them so the access points are unencrypted to avoid slowing down the surfing speed. Also, hackers can easily carry out MITM (Man-In-The-Middle-Attack) on people using the unencrypted hotspots. It's the responsibility of the users to use a VPN to secure their own data.

ISP

It's unlikely a hacker would hack the ISP to get to you.

The ISP can see where you are going and what you are doing if you are not using a VPN. There is a technique of DPI that does decrypt your data, called SSL interception, although it is more common in enterprise situations and only possible if the ISP (or any other interceptor) has the ability to install a certificate on your machine. So unless the ISP had some way of doing that (technician etc.) this is probably off the table.

The ISP can see which VPN you are connected to but can't read your encrypted data although they can monitor your bandwidth. A VPN would protect you against DPI performed by the ISP.

My ISP uses deep packet inspection; what can they observe?

In using a VPN to protect your privacy you are merely transferring the 'trust' aspect from your ISP to the VPN provider. Thus, selecting a trusted VPN provider with 'no log' is of paramount importance. Some true 'no log' VPN providers here

No Logs VPN Services That Have Actually Been Proven True

and those which lie about logs

VPNs are Lying About Logs | Restore Privacy

Another thing to remember is that if the VPN provider wants to see what you are doing they can after all they are the service provider. There are ways for them to carry out checks on what you are doing without knowing your IP address.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
"No logs" This is a marketing term to hook people to buy VPN. VPN will keep some logs about you just in case you are going to abuse it somehow that got government agencies on your head.At the end, no VPN provider upheld the " NO LOGS" policy.

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
"No logs" This is a marketing term to hook people to buy VPN. VPN will keep some logs about you just in case you are going to abuse it somehow that got government agencies on your head.At the end, no VPN provider upheld the " NO LOGS" policy.
I dont know about that ...

VPN Server Seized to Investigate Russian Ambassador's Assassination - TorrentFreak
ExpressVPN Cannot Hand over Logs to Turkish police because it has None

I guess some VPN providers are much trustworthy than others, but dont think it will save your bacon against a nation state actor.

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
I dont know about that ...

VPN Server Seized to Investigate Russian Ambassador's Assassination - TorrentFreak
ExpressVPN Cannot Hand over Logs to Turkish police because it has None

I guess some VPN providers are much trustworthy than others, but dont think it will save your bacon against a nation state actor.
I don't buy the second article you linked. If it no logs and hackers use the VPN to hack the government sites or interfere the government system, and the government agencies somehow trace the IP attacker location than the VPN provider server hosting location owner or VPN provider will get busted for something that he/she doesn't committed at all? I don't think this is a great idea.

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
I don't buy the second article you linked. If it no logs and hackers use the VPN to hack the government sites or interfere the government system, and the government agencies somehow trace the IP attacker location than the VPN provider server hosting location owner or VPN provider will get busted for something that he/she doesn't committed at all? I don't think this is a great idea.
You dont need to, it is the same case but a different source; ExpressVPN server didnt had the logs and it is outside of 14 Eyes country jurisdiction too.

About the proved "no logs" policy, you can read more about it here:
No Logs VPN Services That Have Actually Been Proven True

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft

HarborFront

Level 44
Content Creator
Verified
Like I said the VPN provider can know what you are doing if they want to. Worse comes to worse the VPN provider will just close down its servers in the affected country and move out

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
So a lot of bad guys on the Deep Web will going to abuse the hell out of Express VPN than.
This abuse is somewhat "normal", it happens a lot with TOR too, but those bad guys wont get away if they become a high profile target; a national state actor will pursuit and get you anyway if they have the incentive to do that.

Janl1992l

Level 11
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
So a lot of bad guys on the Deep Web will going to abuse the hell out of Express VPN than.
Same from perfect-privacy vpn. A holland server got siced but nothing found on them, because they dont log. Server seizure in Rotterdam And yes, some bad guys use providers that are known to does not log and are trustworthly like perfect-privacy or Airvpn. But they will never speak about it.

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
They still don't know the actual reason why the server got compromised by the authorities.

This abuse is somewhat "normal", it happens a lot with TOR too, but those bad guys wont get away if they become a high profile target; a national state actor will pursuit and get you anyway if they have the incentive to do that.
But they use VPN that keeps no log, so it will make impossible to track them like you said.

VPN provider can know what you are doing if they want to.
Than it will be contradictory to no logs policy. The thing is consumers have no access to whether the data is completely no logs on the server or what data is being stored on the server.

VPN provider can say whatever they want on the site, but their actions can be opposite to what they say like some dude on social media says he is 25 and rich as hell, but when you meet him in real life he is old and broke.

HarborFront

Level 44
Content Creator
Verified
They still don't know the actual reason why the server got compromised by the authorities.

But they use VPN that keeps no log, so it will make impossible to track them like you said.

Than it will be contradictory to no logs policy. The thing is consumers have no access to whether the data is completely no logs on the server or what data is being stored on the server.

VPN provider can say whatever they want on the site, but their actions can be opposite to what they say like some dude on social media says he is 25 and rich as hell, but when you meet him in real life he is old and broke.
Under normal circumstances the VPN provider will not monitor your activities.

However, there are situations whereby your activities will arouse the suspicions of the VPN provider or if the VPN provider has been informed in advance. Under these circumstances the provider will monitor your traffic through their servers and likely they'll take some actions against you

This I believe is written somewhere in their privacy policy for most, if not all, of the VPN providers. You think the VPN provider want to risk closing down their business just for your few dollars in monthly subscription?

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET

I said that there are some VPN providers that have a real "no logs" policy, but nobody can make the claim that is impossible to track a user in a safe, no logs VPN connection.

Like I said before, a nation state actor with enough time and resources can get you irrespective of the VPN used; fortunately those attacks are reserved for high profile targets, something that you and me wont have to worry.

It is all about defining the threat model, thats why I am pretty comfortable using a VPN like Windscribe.

HarborFront

Level 44
Content Creator
Verified
I said that there are some VPN providers that have a real "no logs" policy, but nobody can make the claim that is impossible to track a user in a safe, no logs VPN connection.

Like I said before, a nation state actor with enough time and resources can get you irrespective of the VPN used; fortunately those attacks are reserved for high profile targets, something that you and me wont have to worry.

It is all about defining the threat model, thats why I am pretty comfortable using a VPN like Windscribe.
Yes, a VPN is good against mass surveillance and not good against targeted surveillance by national agencies

SumTingWong

Level 20
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft