What is the lightest antivirus available right now?

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I've got a pretty old desktop (P4 1.9GHz, 512mb RAM). I don't use it anymore. The only time I use it is to copy/burn CD/DVDs. Got two laptops but none of them have a functioning DVD drive.

Uses of my desktop:
  1. To burn discs
  2. To copy files from CD/DVDs and USB drives (sometimes)

Things to note:
  1. Will this PC ever be connected to the Internet? Ans: No
  2. How often do I use this PC? Ans: 5-10 times a year.
  3. Does it contain sensitive/personal files? Ans: Not really.
  4. What is the installed OS? Ans: XP Pro SP3
  5. Other installed softwares. Ans: VLC media player and Ashampoo burning studio.
What are the things I'm worried about?
Ans: Infection via CD/DVDs and USBs.

What I’m looking for?

Ans: An antivirus that can work on my machine (if there is any). Should be free. Offline update should be available. One time connection to the Internet to activate the antivirus is OK.

Does anyone have any idea which antivirus I should go for ???

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
My recommendation is AVAST free. It use really really low resources. BUT, according to AV comapratives the Anti-virus with the lowest system impact is avira. both can be good in my opinion :). let me know what did you decide...

Reactions: Venustus and Myna

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I think that Avast is lighter then Avira, but AV's act differently on different PC's, try both then decide... ;)

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Well, first that crosses my mind is too check your usb flash drive on other computer that has updated antivirus every time when you want to attach that usb to your old PC.
Second... Avast free + to update it with offline updates
http://www.avast.com/download-update
I do check the USBs on my laptop. But as you know we all are human. Sometimes, I just plug it in my desktop without even thinking about the viruses. And that's how I got infected once. And only after getting infected, I was like Eeeeeee...... :eek:

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I think that Avast is lighter then Avira, but AV's act differently on different PC's, try both then decide... ;)
Alright... Thanks.... btw, how's 360 Internet security ???? Is it light enough ??

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I do check the USBs on my laptop. But as you know we all are human. Sometimes, I just plug it in my desktop without even thinking about the viruses. And that's how I got infected once. And only after getting infected, I was like Eeeeeee...... :eek:
In that case :rolleyes:
You can try some AV that has offline updating functions like :
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • Avira
  • 360 Internet Security (don't know about it's impact on real machine, used it only on virtual machine)
  • Comodo ...
You can always immunize your USB with BitDefender USB Immunizer and prevent a spreading of autorun-related threats (mostly worms)
Note : Once you format your USB you need to immunize it again.
Do that, always scan your USB before attaching, common sense and your old PC shouldn't be infected.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Maybe you don't require an Antivirus, what about MCShield instead.

MCShield Anti-Malware v3.0
I think you are right... If you don't surf in the internet and all you worried about is that Your USB won't get infected this is really what you need
Yeah! Totally forgot about MCShield ...
Will McShield protect me from CD/DVD infections as well. I've read that this thing gives a lot of false positive. Is it true ??? I really don't want any legitimate software to get blocked or deleted.

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
Will McShield protect me from CD/DVD infections as well. I've read that this thing gives a lot of false positive. Is it true ??? I really don't want any legitimate software to get blocked or deleted.
About the first question, Yes, It will.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.