Advice Request What is the lightest antivirus available right now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majiturf

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2018
Title.

I installed Avira yesterday. I hated the experience. It installed a bunch of its utilities on my PC which i didn't want. Uninstalled it and installed Bitdefender free. It looks light but it blocks some safe websites for some reason. Gonna try Avast if I dont like this. What are your suggestions?

"Light" not in terms of memory/cpu usage alone. I am talking about the core features. I dont like antiviruses with "x" of shields. I need it to be simple and have a minimal UI. Something like Windows defender for instance.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
ESET is very light, even if I don't use AV anymore, my lance is in favour of good coding practice adopted from beginning from ESET side, no C# antivirus, their product is directly coded into assembly, allowing really good performances on machines.

Reactions: roger_m

maka

Level 1
Verified
Jul 1, 2018
no C# antivirus
Please, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that there is no serious antivirus coded in C#. Maybe you were refering to C/C++?

allowing really good performances on machines
Anyway modern C/C++ compilers generates very highly optimized ASM code, much more optimized than the code writed by humans. Nowadays assembly is used if you need to control things at low level, not for performance.

By the way, only critical parts of ESET are coded in assembly not the whole program. ASM is a very improductive language (difficult to code, you need a lot of instructions to do simple things) Is better use higher level languages like C/C++.

For example, the GUI is built in HTML, CSS and a modified version of Javascript using the Sciter engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Kaspersky, eset for me. Kaspersky has been directing most of its efforts towards making thier solutions extremely lightweight in the recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.