What is the most secure mainstream browser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

I am wondering which of the following mainstream browsers is the least vulnerable to Malware etc.

Edge
Chrome
Opera
Firefox

I use Opera, partly because it is updated by a reputable company and only has a 1% share of the browser market- my thinking being that hackers are unlikely to target weaknesses in Opera as it is quite an obscure browser and not worth bothering with ?

I also use the Opera VPN when browsing- although I doubt this is the best VPN out there.

Any thoughts on the above ?

Thanks.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
any browser can be made safe with the right extensions.
all these custom Chromium based browser by AV companies are just the basic Chrome with their extension that you can download with the default Chrome too..

Yandex has some nice things implemented in it, plus throw some privacy/adblocking extensions and you're solid.
and of course make sure some anti-exploit tool is protecting your browser like VS or HMPA.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Just because many people don't use Opera, it doesn't mean that hackers won't exploit vulnerabilities in it. Besides that, Opera is based on Chromium so when you use it, it's like you use Chrome, Vivaldi etc. If Chrome has vulnerable bug in itself, Opera is going to have it too.

I use and recommend Chrome, the reason is not really hard to understand. Google keeps browser updated regularly, which means that if they found serious vulnerability, they are working on fix immediately. When they fix vulnerability, they push update to users.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As far as exploit ect. its a toss up between a select few, as far as protecting your data and info, FireFox is in front there.
Mozilla refuses to collect much of the data that google will and does gladly liberate from you.
Surprised how many forget about that in posts.
I think that most of the mainstream browsers today are neck in neck, its when it comes to data collection and privacy that
the Moz Fox shines ;)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
As far as exploit ect. its a toss up between a select few, as far as protecting your data and info, FireFox is in front there.
Mozilla refuses to collect much of the data that google will and does gladly liberate from you.
I think that most of the mainstream browsers today are neck in neck, its when it comes to data collection and privacy that
the Moz Fox shines ;)
I like Firefox too (their privacy policy is great) but I don't use it because of speed and freezing. It takes forever to start and when Firefox finally launches, everything is slow. When I try to load heavier web pages (especially pages with Flash content), I often get message Not responding.
I've tried Firefox on several PCs (they have 8 GB of RAM and Quad Core processors) and same happens on every one of them. Chrome (and other Chromium browsers) are better at this point. They launch immediately and are ready to use.

About Chrome privacy, How-To Geek wrote very good article where they explain how to optimize Chrome for maximum privacy. ;)

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
the Moz Fox shines ;)
Also it's catching up with chrome in terms sandboxing and multi-process browsing aka electrolysis (e10s). So after a few versions you will have all the security and performance benefits of chrome with Firefox's privacy policy.

I like Firefox too (their privacy policy is great) but I don't use it because of speed and freezing. It takes forever to start and when Firefox finally launches, everything is slow. When I try to load heavier web pages (especially pages with Flash content), I often get message Not responding.
I've tried Firefox on several PCs (they have 8 GB of RAM and Quad Core processors) and same happens on every one of them. Chrome (and other Chromium browsers) are better at this point. They launch immediately and are ready to use.
After last few updates, it's getting pretty great. At least for me :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
By itself Chrome is very secure. However, you can add extensions to the other browsers and use of sandbox to secure them.

But Chrome, Chromium and Chromium-based browsers are poor in privacy.

Reactions: given and BearHug

BearHug

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
any browser can be made safe with the right extensions.
all these custom Chromium based browser by AV companies are just the basic Chrome with their extension that you can download with the default Chrome too..

Yandex has some nice things implemented in it, plus throw some privacy/adblocking extensions and you're solid.
and of course make sure some anti-exploit tool is protecting your browser like VS or HMPA.
Dragon is a modified version of Chrome which is more Security and Privacy Oriented Browser than Chrome!

Reactions: given

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Dragon is a modified version of Chrome which is more Security and Privacy Oriented Browser than Chrome!
Have you checked whether it phones home to Google on start up?

I know Chromium, Iridium, SRWare Iron does despite being very privacy conscious

Last edited:

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I think they are all pretty good now days.

I'm like you I use Opera for the free VPN, it lets me get back on to all the political sites I've gotten banned from.

I don't seek out malware, but I have clicked on a lot of bad links using Opera and it hasn't let anything get to the download folder.

I augment it with ABS, but i don't think that's necessary

Reactions: Rengar and given

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Chrome imo is the safest browser... I don't use anything else cause with my extensions along with chrome I feel very secure.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

About Chrome privacy, How-To Geek wrote very good article where they explain how to optimize Chrome for maximum privacy. ;)
Doesn't matter what the article says. Just check your Chrome, Chromium and Chromium-based browsers whether they phone home to Google on start up of the browsers. If they do then there's no more privacy despite all those settings

The question now is who you want to handover your privacy to. Will it he Google, Mozilla, MS, Yahoo or Amazon?

Last edited:
Reactions: given and Oxygen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.