What is the safest distro linux?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Any known Linux distribution is safe in use. I wouldn't recommend Debian or Manjaro for a beginner. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are really good when it comes to usability. You don't need to install any security software and Linux Mint even comes with Timeshift, which allows you to make automated backups.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I'm looking for some distro that security settings are automatically configured with the OS installation. Will something like this exist? Thank you very much. Greetings.
This is my first experience of always using linux. I think when you install your linux OS you are covered for most of the malware. Just add a good firewall and firejail and you are good to go ;) add also good extensions for browser like uBlock Origin and Netcraft to protect you from phishing.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Mint is a good distro! So I agree with @askalan ! Deepin is yet another one of my favorites along with Ubuntu. Between those three distros I don't think you could go wrong.

This is my first experience of always using linux. I think when you install your linux OS you are covered for most of the malware. Just add a good firewall and firejail and you are good to go ;) add also good extensions for browser like uBlock Origin and Netcraft to protect you from phishing.

I couldn't agree more with @JM Security on his posting! Hats off to you JM Security! Couldn't have said it better myself.

~Brian

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
All major linux distros have built-in security features, and receive security updates.
On Linux, there are about 1 new malwares every few months, as opposed to 100,000 a day on Windows.
On Linux, you can only get infected if you install from a non-official repository; you don't have weaponized documents and exploited apps etc. So it is pointless to worry about which distro is the "most secure". That's a Windows question.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
All major linux distros have built-in security features, and receive security updates.
On Linux, there are about 1 new malwares every few months, as opposed to 100,000 a day on Windows.
On Linux, you can only get infected if you install from a non-official repository; you don't have weaponized documents and exploited apps etc. So it is pointless to worry about which distro is the "most secure". That's a Windows question.

Thank you very much. Best regards.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.