Advice Request What is wrong with Google Chrome? Memory take 465.6 MB!!!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Is it normal?(Memory take 465.6 MB!!!) How to solve this problem?

FYI:Normal internet surfing.Google Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 691

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
My Windows without browser (so desktop with icons only): Physical Memory 322MB on Process Hacker for now...

I use CENT browser Version 1.8.9.28 which is based on Chromium 49.0.2623.105

Windows with my CENT (with too many extensions: 17): 800 MB - so without Windows, CENT has 800-322=478 MB, 0% CPU (1.56% or 3% by pics) with the New Tab (about:blank) only.
In Process Hacker I see first chrome.exe process: 160 MB, then one chrome.exe have 117 MB, and all other chrome.exe has about 49 to 51 MB each one...
I've to remove some extensions, but it's difficult for me, I like each one of them;)

To look on each extension Memory, and CPU load, don't use Task Manager which has 3.13 %CPU load, but type: chrome://memory-redirect - so you see 0% CPU for your enjoyment, I hope for you.

To look easily on the CPU percentage, I use BitBlock extension.

EDIT:
Sorry, post revised, digits corrected, uh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

The Chromium engine is responsible for the large memory consumption because of the features it provides. With a process for each tab, the RAM usage increases a lot due to the features it comes with being loaded into memory for each of those extra processes. If less was enabled then the RAM consumption would be reduced a lot, not to mention that browser extensions can have an adverse effect (e.g. an ad-blocker loading large host lists into memory).

I know this because I work with the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) on a daily basis and have done so for a good few months now - allowing me to use a nice and modern web-based interface and communicate with a C or C++ back-end and vice-versa. Originally, the process would have been about 70MB or more... After manual customisation of what is enabled and what isn't enabled, the RAM usage cuts down to about 9MB whilst my HTML/5, CSS/3 and JavaScript is loaded on the Chromium engine for the process.

You can blame OpenGL, DirectX, PDF viewing support, and other features for the large memory consumption with the Chromium engine if the consumption is large without any browser extensions. I've found uBlock Origin to have a big effect depending on how many hosts are included (e.g. how many lists are enabled via the configuration).

Bear in mind that your memory is supposed to be used up and memory consumption can decrease when you have more running in the background and thus less free memory for Google Chrome or other web-browsers. Unused memory is wasted memory.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I wouldn't immediately say that it's "normal." Maybe, there's a bug that increases (or even decreases!) RAM usage, which would make Chrome's RAM usage not normal. However, it's "typical" of Chrome (or any other browser) to consume lots of RAM. :)

Right now, my Chrome is consuming a little more than 1GB of RAM. :D

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Anyone have an interesting angle on this Chrome behavior? Happens in Chrome and only on this thread apparently when I scroll to the bottom of @Opcode's post #8:

MTs%20Page%20McAfee%20Bounce_zpss6rilksq.gif

Sorry to interrupt the flow of information. Trying to interpret this sign from the outer reaches...

I noticed something similar with Chrome 65, previous version didnt had this behavior.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is a joke, right?

If you view the Chrome Task Manager you can see what is running, it includes running Extensions, Open Tabs etc.

Subframe processes are created part of Site Isolation which increases the security of your Chrome browser.
"Chrome will load each website in its own process. So, even if a site bypasses the same-origin policy, the extra security will help stop the site from stealing your data from another website".
upload_2018-3-11_15-41-59.png

Mozilla Firefox definitely uses a LOT more memory, but it also depends on what you have installed in the browser.

upload_2018-3-11_15-47-57.png

There's Free memory in Firefox > about:memory, but I don't know it's actual effectiveness or benefits. Expert users may know more.

upload_2018-3-11_15-53-31.png

At the end of the day, if the browser is STABLE and non-CPU usage hog, why does memory usage matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.