Advice Request What is your keylogger defense in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi gents,
i was wondering what are you use for providing some type of key-logger protection
as you know key-logger is some types of malicious software which record your keystrokes and capture it to steal
are you depend only on your security vendor (if it is piece of software has key logging protection) especially when you log in your banking account :unsure::unsure: ?? or you have some tweaks done with your OS built in system to harden the OS against these kinds of this malware ?. i am delighted to hear your opinion :):)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A good SRP already protect against such type ;)
Combined with MOTW + SmartScreen + Windows Defender this is a easy set & forget.

If Keylogger can start on your system, the damage doesn't matter as it's already to late for protection.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
A good SRP already protect against such type ;)
Combined with MOTW + SmartScreen + Windows Defender this is a easy set & forget.

If Keylogger can start on your system, the damage doesn't matter as it's already to late for protection.
Do you have certain tutorial for Such SRP policies :) :) ??
is there any tool to detect it ?? could you make some type of analysis to discover it on your system ?? for example detect its process using Process Explore or any other tool :unsure::unsure:??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I do not download any software or executables whatsoever. I also work with a small number of trusted website and use WDEG and Norton 360 Premium. Does that count?🤔
How do you dont use any executable do you use Linux ??
for me i check the digital signature and hash if exist (using hash my file) to check before install it on my system
for example now i begin web development course at which i need Notpad ++ i found GPG signature i am trying to check right now never did it before and gpg --verify CMD fails seemed this command not supported any more

B

BVLon

How do you dont use any executable do you use Linux ??
for me i check the digital signature and hash if exist (using hash my file) to check before install it on my system
for example now i begin web development course at which i need Notpad ++ i found GPG signature i an trying to check right now never did it before and gpg --verify CMD fails seemed this command not supported any more
Almost all of my software comes with Windows. On my malware test laptop I download everything, which of course is intentional. On my real-use one, I do not use any non-MS software, except for Norton 360 and couple of adobe programs. Yes, I have checked the digital signature of all of them. Once I setup these programs, I do not download any exes whatsoever. I use, but I don't download :)

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Almost all of my software comes with Windows. On my malware test laptop I download everything, which of course is intentional. On my real-use one, I do not use any non-MS software, except for Norton 360 and couple of adobe programs. Yes, I have checked the digital signature of all of them. Once I setup these programs, I do not download any exes whatsoever.
Then check the integrity of Adobe products.(alwayes have security issues) if you use reader (i feel you may use photoshop :) ) than Foxit may be better and more stable that my opinion

B

BVLon

may agree somewhat with you as any advanced browser may do its function unless you need editing tools ,signature and collaboration
Only installing what you need and maintaining a tiny, no-bullshit configuration is the key to securing your system. Most of the malware is distributed through social engineering and relies on people who are always looking for something "cool" to add on to their system. If you don't have this software "hunger", you are immune to social engineering and the huge part of attacks relying on it. I don't need editing tools, hence I've got no Reader or Acrobat.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Only installing what you need and maintaining a tiny, no-bullshit configuration is the key to securing your system. Most of the malware is distributed through social engineering and relies on people who are always looking for something "cool" to add on to their system. If you don't have this software "hunger", you are immune to social engineering and the huge part of attacks relying on it. I don't need editing tools, hence I've got no Reader or Acrobat.
Not that only.Social engineering not only scare ware which may fool foolish people but also include phishing,spear phishing,Baiting etc which is smartly crafted . not only some adware is fooled to be installed such as flash player

B

BVLon

Not that only.Social engineering not only scare ware which may fool foolish people but also include phishing,spear phishing,Baiting etc which is smartly crafted . not only some adware is fooled to be installed such as flash player
Now that's another thing, never download a software when they are asking you, or telling you you need it badly. If I need something, I will search for it and download it myself. Also, all software that needs to be updated has built-in tools to do it. If you wanna download an update, always go to the vendor's official website.
I will never ever give my details over the phone or via email/in online form. I would open my mobile banking and contact the bank through the app.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
by the way is gpg command became non supported i have this error while i try importing the public key using Windows CMD anyone have any idea about the solution
1583506092742.png

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Now that's another thing, never download a software when they are asking you, or telling you you need it badly. If I need something, I will search for it and download it myself. Also, all software that needs to be updated has built-in tools to do it. If you wanna download an update, always go to the vendor's official website.
I will never ever give my details over the phone or via email/in online form. I would open my mobile banking and contact the bank through the app.
That is good what anyone should do .I only download from offical site however this also may not be enough. there were accident where Ccleaner installer replaced by another malware modified package on the official website

B

BVLon

That is good what anyone should do .I only download from offical site however this also may not be enough. there were accident where Ccleaner installer replaced by another malware modified package on the official website
You can check the digital certificate as well. In general, cases where they will be able to affect the company's website and steal their certificate and push you malware, not detected by your AV are extremely rare. It's not something that happens every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You can check the digital certificate as well. In general, cases where they will be able to affect the company's website and steal their certificate and push you malware, not detected by your AV are extremely rare. It's not something that happens every day.
in this case only one AV detected that the installer is altered (forticlient) as i remember

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Kaspersky Anti-Virus free has a function to protect input from the hardware keyboard, that is, the input text is encrypted immediately when typing on the keyboard. But I turned off it, since the SpyShelter Firewall already encrypts text when typing.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
by the way is gpg command became non supported i have this error while i try importing the public key using Windows CMD anyone have any idea about the solution
View attachment 234497

assuming you've installed gpg correctly it should work but you can check that the path variable is set correctly:

search for "env" (Edit the System Variables)
Make sure that gnupg\bin folder is in your path like:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 173

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
1.Hitmanpro Alert HitmanPro Alert vs a Keylogger - Bing video {old Cruel sister video}
2.Norton Most keyloggers are detected by Norton as spyware (e.g., Spyware.123Keylogger, Spyware.ABDKeylogger, Spyware.StealthLogger, Spyware.SuperKeylogger, etc.) so the OP will actually find most keylogger detections listed under "S" at Symantec Security Center.
This what I have hope its enough

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.