What is your most feared virus?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
My Doom explored its way to the malware world on 26th January 2004 and sent a shockwave around the world as it scattered exponentially via e-mail with random senders’ addresses and subject lines. My Doom also known as “Novarg” is reported to be the most dangerous virus ever released, breaking the previous record set by the Sobig F worm. My Doom swiftly infected some two million computers and instigated a huge denial of service attack which smashed the cyber world for sometime. It transmitted itself in a particularly deceitful manner through e-mail as what receiver would first reckon to be a bounced error message as it reads “Mail Transaction Failed.” But, as soon as the message is clicked upon, the attachment is executed and the worm is transferred to e-mail addresses found in user’s address book. The damage caused by this fastest-spreading mass mailer worm was a whopping $38 billion.

A destructive parasitic virus CIH also known as “Chernobyl” was first emerged in the year 1998 in Taiwan and quickly became one of the most dangerous and destructive viruses to ever hit with a payload that corrupts data. The CIH virus infects Windows 95 and 98 executable file and after doing that it remains a resident in the machine’s memory, where it infects other executables. Once activated, the virus annihilates the data on the hard disk and overwrites the computer’s Flash BIOS chip, rendering it completely inoperable and unless the chip is reprogrammed the user will not be able to boot the machine at all. Although with increased awareness and advancement in technology the virus does not pose a serious threat today but we can never forget the $250 million worth of destruction it caused.

These are my 2 favorites, i got myself 2 versions of both that are still 100% undetected and cannot be cured for the plane and simple reason their payload has 3 abilities:

1: They corrupt the computers root (internal firmware)
2: They cannot be cured and they infect other pc's rendering ANY av and ANY protection suit useless
3: They will release a payload the moment you do ANYTHING that would harm the integrity of the code itself, by executing a over voltage command within the MOBO firm setting effective burn out your pc for good.

The one and only reason i have them in the first place is because i use to collect rare samples and these are so rare that i would not get rid of them even if someone offers me money (next to my already impressive malware collection (like post stamps just a hobby)
And i know that even on the present day there are some guys still using a variant of these 2 virusses to create new versions.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Any malware that can be used as a cyberweapon is my most feared scenario!
"Stuxnet" was potentially very dangerous,and unprecedented in it's complexity!
As Ralph Langner stated the Stuxnet worm was "Rocket Science"

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Any malware that can be used as a cyberweapon is my most feared scenario!
"Stuxnet" was potentially very dangerous,and unprecedented in it's complexity!
As Ralph Langner stated the Stuxnet worm was "Rocket Science"

I agree that Stuxnet would be classed as very dangerous however Stuxnet is NOT a virus but more a cyber weapon.
Malware like, Mydoom, Sasser and Netsky where malware and NOT designed as cyber weapons.
There is a difference imo and therefor i do not class Stuxnet as a true malware.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I agree that Stuxnet would be classed as very dangerous however Stuxnet is NOT a virus but more a cyber weapon.
Malware like, Mydoom, Sasser and Netsky where malware and NOT designed as cyber weapons.
There is a difference imo and therefor i do not class Stuxnet as a true malware.
You make a good point, as it was designed for a "specific purpose" ie to take out the uranium enrichment centrifuges,of the Iranian Nuclear program.
Thanks!

Reactions: Koroke San
D

Deleted member 178

yeah Backorifice was fun too ^^ i missed wakamole or i dont remember it lol ^^

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
ZeroAccess and its capability to actively defeat AVs definitely scared me when I learned about it.

On the other hand, as others said before, the user is the most important factor.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
ZeroAccess and its capability to actively defeat AVs definitely scared me when I learned about it.

On the other hand, as others said before, the user is the most important factor.
Yup but also get a decent BB like mamantu which is now inbulit in EAM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.