RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I couldn't think of a better way to help us each other with everybody's knowledge on specific software.

Here's what I propose! Share with us your current combo, and let others comment on what you lack to be covered in every vulnerable area!

For example, my combo: Defender (H_C) + VoodooShield. What do you think I lack? I would say decent web filtering/protection.

Share yours so we can help each other! This way we can be sure we're protected, maybe somebody has a negative experience with your combo!

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo FW + Forticlient + NVT OSArmor + AppCheck A/Rw + EMET

AppCheck and EMET are only here as toys and for science and study. I don't run games, but they are extremely light anyway. Otherwise, everything is covered with the first 3 in the most general sense.

For me, this combo lacks effective interaction with the user. There is plenty of interaction with Comodo, but the alerts presentation should be so much better and should represent the protection scheme way better. Forticlient's web blocks are awesome, but its scan dialog is slightly clumsy in that it doesn't minimize.

All in all it's just little details that end up being super annoying over the long haul. The protection part I feel relatively good about, but I wish especially Comodo's alert flow was better designed, more elaborate, and better choreographed. One other thing about Comodo. The program doesn't notify of the intervention of the cloud like it should.

Also, btw, NTV OSArmor's limited options feel a little bit binding. I like the exclusion dialog, but sometimes a simple allow once would be nice. OSA has probably 200 protections bundled together, so the first alert about something running from downloads might just be something I would like to know/see (or external drive, etc.), while I am really trusting in the later alerts for protection. Come to think of it, an option to see a notification for a setting rather than an alert might be really awesome, at least for some of the commonly triggered settings...END RANT about FREE software.

Nice idea for a thread @RoboMan...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
For example, my combo: Defender (H_C) + VoodooShield. What do you think I lack? I would say decent web filtering/protection.

Defender (H_C) seems strong, so that's a good start. What might be great for you would be a super great firewall with great web filtering too. I am constantly looking for this myself. Not really anything in existence at this time that I know of, other than maybe one of the over the top hardware firewalls or maybe the gryphon router with its software. In light of this, I guess you can still get at least good-very good filtering from browser extensions. Installing Forticlent's web filter by itself seems like too much, although I read some do. For me, the extensions protection is super meaningful, though.

BTW, I have had two lol moments with Windows Defender in W7 over the last month or so. It actually quarantined some temp file and then some file in system restore too. I almost fell out of the chair both times, but seriously it actually felt so good to see in the strangest way....

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Currently ESET IS + NVT OSA. Considering going WD + NVT OSA, or WD (H_D) instead. Web filtering with emsisoft extension.

Edit: also running an ASUS router with TrendMicro filtering, so layers I guess.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Defender (H_C) seems strong, so that's a good start. What might be great for you would be a super great firewall with great web filtering too. I am constantly looking for this myself. Not really anything in existence at this time that I know of, other than maybe one of the over the top hardware firewalls or maybe the gryphon router with its software. In light of this, I guess you can still get at least good-very good filtering from browser extensions. Installing Forticlent's web filter by itself seems like too much, although I read some do. For me, the extensions protection is super meaningful, though.

BTW, I have had two lol moments with Windows Defender in W7 over the last month or so. It actually quarantined some temp file and then some file in system restore too. I almost fell out of the chair both times, but seriously it actually felt so good to see in the strangest way....
I might consider adding a security extension for Chrome! Any suggestions people?
Currently ESET IS + NVT OSA. Considering going WD + NVT OSA, or WD (H_D) instead. Web filtering with emsisoft extension.

Edit: also running an ASUS router with TrendMicro filtering, so layers I guess.
Nice combo! I would say I'm preocuppied about default denying, since ESET lacks this module and OSA is a post exploit software. Have you considered creating some HIPS rules to protect this?

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I am using ESET IS along with AppGuard for my realtime protection. One is default allow and the other is default deny. I think this setup is sufficient to cover any normal user. Unless I do something stupid like disabling ESET/AG it should be hard to get infected. And indeed it's a nice thread to start @RoboMan

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I might consider adding a security extension for Chrome! Any suggestions people?

Nice combo! I would say I'm preocuppied about default denying, since ESET lacks this module and OSA is a post exploit software. Have you considered creating some HIPS rules to protect this?

I have considered working on some HIPS rules, but it seems a bit daunting. I probably should try that out before ditching ESET.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I have considered working on some HIPS rules, but it seems a bit daunting. I probably should try that out before ditching ESET.
ESET IS is a fantastic piece of software. The HIPS and firewall are superb and I don't even need to mention about the signatures. Try to learn to set-up rules for HIPS and Firewall. I have many custom rules set up in ESET HIPS, ESET FW and AG. NEVER use ESET at default settings. ESET after tweaking becomes a top notch piece of software for protection.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
ESET IS is a fantastic piece of software. The HIPas and firewall are superb and I don't even need to mention about the signatures. Try to learn to set-up rules for HIPS and Firewall. I have many custom rules set up in ESET HIPS, ESET FW and AG. NEVER use ESET at default settings. ESET of tweaking becomes a top notch piece of software for protection.

I have the firewall rules set. I don’t understand HIPS as well as a FW. I have been looking at @RoboMan ’s rules and some of the ones you suggested in the ESET area.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
From the test done her by @Evjl's Rain came that the combination of Windows Defender Browser Protection and Emsisoft Browser Security gave the best protection while being light on resources and the least invading for your privacy.
Emsisoft Browser Security
Windows Defender Browser Protection

And this is it... we have the some of the greatest extension comparison info on the web here at MT in the form of @Evjl's Rain testing. He has not participated so much lately... hopefully everything is ok.

And based on Evjl's Rain testing, the following test, and actual usage, I recommend MBEB. It does have more false positives and more websites where you need to make an adjustment to make the website display correctly -- but for me, it blocks the most by far. And I've played with just about all of them.. I even signed up to test SandBlast, but got busy and forgot about it..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.