Advice Request What is your take on the Kaspersky Ban in US, UK and EU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kaspersky ban is based on .....

• Innocent: the US hearings and EU report lacked hard evidence?

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • uncertain: where there is smoke there is fire,

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • it is fishy: three is a strike US, UK and EU can't all be wrong

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • have not made my mind up in this matter

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Steal people's information, probably use it to monitor and control you and report to local authorities, tracking every move you do and invading the whole meaning of privacy. Should be banned from every single country.
|
|
--->local intelligence agencies

And about Kaspersky, they are innocent LOL

There's a known phrase where I live: If you have 20 dollars, the government will steal 19 from you and convince you the burglar will try to steal your 1 dollar...

The best way to hide your criminal activities is trying to take down whoever has the power to take you down in first place :p

There's evidence. It is just that it isn't going to be made publicly available. It's a matter of national security. LOL... about as common sense as it can get.

This ongoing debate is so ridiculous. What the U.S. government decides to or decides not to put on their computer systems is the prerogative of the government. Any nation has that very same prerogative. Cybersecurity is political. That's about as common sense as it can get too.

The ones who know nothing about highest-level cybersecurity and make comments are like arm-chair quarterbacks who never played football a day in their life, but are complaining about player X.

The thing of this debate is that people keep using it to create drama and acrimony. Just like sordid television with political intrigue. And so I will add my own twist... If Kaspersky wants U.S. government business so badly, then it can close up shop in Russia and move all operations to the U.S. It is almost a certainty that the U.S. government would hand-out visas for the Kaspersky talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

Is only banned in US and UK, and innocent until proven guilty. Over here in EU, no one cares about what the US thinks, no one takes them seriously.

Fact is, Kaspersky is a threat to the US secret intelligence, due to being extremely effective in detecting and removing malware. Kaspersky made itself available from day one to be examined and the US refused and kept making baseless accusations.

The fact US fears Kasperksy is another reason to use it.

L

Local Host

UK is not part of the EU, and Germany clearly said,
“There are no plans to warn against the use of Kaspersky products since the BSI has no evidence for misconduct by the company or weaknesses in its software,”
So my point stands that in EU, Kasperksy is not banned and no one cares about the US thinks.

E

Eddie Morra

Kaspersky i believe is innocent. Since i have not been shown any evidence nor has the Department of Homeland Security to prove otherwise. I would recommend using Kaspersky any day over the likes of McAfee, Norton, Webroot, Vipre and PC Matic.
It would be a mistake for them to share the evidence they may or may not have depending on the evidence they may or may not have. It could compromise how they obtained the evidence in the first place (potentially putting other people's lives in danger) and provide an opportunity for cleaning house.

Whether there is evidence or not... people can use whatever they want to use. If they do not want to listen to the warnings then they do not have to. Unless you are on a government system/part of a government agency in a country where it is officially banned on government systems, then you're not forced to stop using Kaspersky services. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

UK is not part of the EU
The UK is definitely part of the EU. The UK has not yet left the EU.

L

Local Host

It would be a mistake for them to share the evidence they may or may not have depending on the evidence they may or may not have. It could compromise how they obtained the evidence in the first place (potentially putting other people's lives in danger) and provide an opportunity for cleaning house.

The UK is definitely part of the EU. The UK has not yet left the EU.
UK leave EU on 29 March 2019, it stopped following the EU laws and rights long ago, reason why their coin fell hard as well. What the UK thinks and does has no influence in EU, they no longer have a seat there.
Germany made clear it has no intention of banning Kaspersky as well, so there's nothing to discuss in the EU. Unlike US, the EU Parliament doesn't act without evidence and careful thinking.

E

Eddie Morra

UK left EU on 29 March 2019, it stopped following the EU laws and rights way before that, reason why their coin fell hard as well. What the UK thinks and does has no influence in EU, they no longer have a seat there.
Germany made clear it has no intention of banning Kaspersky as well, so there's nothing to discuss in the EU
The UK is leaving the EU, but they haven't left the EU yet. Therefore, they are still part of the EU?

We''re still in 2018. 29th of March 2019 is some time away.

E

Eddie Morra

If they do not want to listen to the warnings then they do not have to. Unless you are on a government system/part of a government agency in a country where it is officially banned on government systems, then you're not forced to stop using Kaspersky services. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Can someone verify whether this is correct or not? Would appreciate it a lot.

EDIT: See Post #14 by Local Host.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So Israel hacked Kaspersky and found out some leftover files, that KAV uploaded from NSA computer, that some genius left with KSN enabled. Afterwards Israel told it to US, US complained about it to EU and UK, and KAV got banned and people blame KAV for doing, what it is supposed to be doing in the first place. It is the same like with Snowden, who reported the government for breaking the constitution and got banned for it, it is politics. :emoji_expressionless:

L

Local Host

The UK is leaving the EU, but they haven't left the EU yet. Therefore, they are still part of the EU?

We''re still in 2018. 29th of March 2019 is some time away.

EDIT: Maybe you're correct and I am wrong. It could be be the other way around. I do not know. According to what I've read and heard, the UK haven't left the EU yet until everything is finalized... so that is my understanding on it.
Currently the UK and EU are discussing terms, but officially the UK left EU already.
UK is no longer following EU laws and rights and has no saying in the EU Parliament, as I said, is the reason their coin fell hard. As a EU citizen I can no longer enter in the UK freely and I'll have way less rights.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

It is a fact china stole info that we didn't give them as far as rocket tech. They are now forming a big friendship with Russia. My grandpa said 60 years ago, one day we would go to war with Russia and China. Don't be deceived. Neither Russia or China are The USA's friends. This new war will be cyber as well as nukes. I just read about a new tech that will make our stelth fighters more imune to cyber attacks , even though, I have no idea why the USA have their fighter and nukes tied to the internet.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Anyone who actually puts any energy into formulating a judgment on this non-issue has too much time on their hands.

Tomorrow government XYZ might wake up and decide to ban any AV that is not domestically produced. And so what ? You have got to be kidding me if this is actually a noteworthy and meaningful news topic. For the vast majority of people, the price of milk and rice is a whole hell of a lot more relevant.

The ones who keep making an issue about it do nothing but amplify the whole pettiness of it all.

The people who get worked-up about this topic are already biased along political lines. The whole forum responses are personal-level geo-politics by AV-proxy. And that in itself is pathetic.

Really ? If you like Kaspersky, then no one is stopping you from purchasing it and using it. I'd like to see everyone who screams "Foul" on behalf of Kaspersky to actually fork out $50 and pay full retail for it. Yeah... that ain't gonna happen, because it's all nonsense arm-chair politics.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I just read about a new tech that will make our stelth fighters more imune to cyber attacks , even though, I have no idea why the USA have their fighter and nukes tied to the internet.
What US needs, is actually less tech, they laugh about Russian old tech, but it is way more immune to EMP, it can not even disable Russian vehicles.

What spooked the USS Donald Cook so much in the Black Sea?

As a matter fact, US asked my country not to sell its radar to Iran, because it is an old tech and it is able to detect the new US stealth planes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.