In-depth Comparison

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Based on my used software-
Only performance- Eset, Cylance Smart
Only protection- Kaspersky, Eset, Emsisoft, Avast, Norton, Malwarebytes(for zero hour malware, it catches threats which some products miss).
Ransomware protection- Kaspersky, Emsisoft(also has developed many decryptors), Eset, Norton, Avast etc.
Features- Kaspersky, Norton, Avast.
There may be some more which are not coming in my mind right now
I am using HMPA(Hitman Pro Alert) and Avast Premium.

Last edited:

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
what is your top 3 antivirus? Bitdefender,Kaspersky,GDATA
what you would recommended to people?Bitdefender & Kaspersky Free and Paid , GDATA It is preferable that the specifications of the device be high
+ what are you using? My Desktop Bitdefender , My Laptop GDATA

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
My recommends are:
1) Not so tech-savvy, Configure Defender at max settings with OS Armor. Completely free and very powerfull. For ones that does basic net surfing.
2) The ones that plays with...illegal stuff downloaded from the net and have basic knowledge of computers. SecureAplus Free with Comodo firewall free.
3) For real geeks, they might get unstable when they know that "the fart" is coming, so all system down, sure for security reasons :D
4) All above are free

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
1) ESET prefer Nod32
2) Emsisoft
3) WindowsDefender
4) Bitdefender

ESET: light, good protections out of the box, good support, I can find good deal, no bloatware.

Emsisoft: moderate usage and some system performance impact, good out of the box protections, no bloatware,

Windows Defender: Decent protection for a free built-in antivirus, decent support?, minimal system impact, and not aggressive.

Bitdefender: prices, protections, signatures. Customer support is literary non-existence. Software is buggy. System impact is moderate to huge like a gaming pc with OS installed on SSD feels like a gaming PC with OS installed on HDD.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Windows Defender - built-in, works with OS built-in protection, free, tweakable, flies under the radar and no SSL injection (y) I'd use it even if there were no ConfigureDefender.

Emsisoft - clean and private
Bitdefender Free - On/Off (good) + SSl injection (good or not, depending on your view) + few bugs here and there ;)

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
My recommendations tend to be, in this order:

1. ESET or F-Secure (*)
  2. Norton (especially if you get for free from Comcast)
  3. Kaspersky if you are comfortable

Notes: though ESET has the superior signatures hands down, it turns out that Chrome's malware scanner seems to have basically the same detections (likely powered by ESET) and VirusTotal tends to be an accurate reflection of ESET detections too. Since ESET's main strength is static scanning and it has very little dynamic (BB) capability out of the box, I find that these alternate ways of getting ESET protection make it almost redundant to run it locally. F-Secure has a different set of engines, more reliance on cloud protection, and an excellent behavior blocker all while being lightweight and having a decent subscription model that doesn't feel like it's aggressively getting you to renew. This makes it better as a layered protection for me.

Norton: right now it's an excellent product still, but in my opinion the recent business situation will spell doom for this product in the long run. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. But I'm not going to stop recommending it until I see it go downhill.

Kaspersky: arguably still the best combo of great static scanning and great behavior blocking. However, questions about their integrity are unfortunately a bit of a problem reputation wise. NOTE: I am not xenophobic, nor do I believe we have seen any evidence of collusion or anything like that. However, I am also not with the capability of a government intelligence organization and I generally do believe there's a grain of truth behind some of the allegations though media scaremongering blows it out of proportion. In practice, part of my history involves doing some work for the defense Dept so I find out of good practice I have to avoid using it on my machines because that will just raise questions I don't want to deal with. Those without such qualms should be more receptive to this excellent product. Personally, I think most people are flattering themselves if they think Russia is going to use a Kaspersky backdoor to go after them. You've got to be pretty darn important for both the country and the company to risk their reputations to do something like that. But yeah, I feel kind of bad for Kaspersky. Such a fantastic product to get tied up in this kind of controversy. But in a world where there's dozens of fairly good AV choices that have not been implicated in an intelligence agency collusion, it is perfectly reasonable to prefer choosing an alternative.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
what is your top 3 antivirus, what you would recommended to people? + what are you using?
Is that a trick question? 🤔
what is your top 3 antivirus
Kaspersky Cloud Free
Windows Defender + ConfigureDefender
I do not know any third one worth mentioning.
what you would recommended to people?
Panda Cloud Free
FortiClient Free
Adaware Free
+ what are you using?
None. I do not believe in AVs, though I do believe in fairy tales and fairies, you must, otherwise they would die. :)

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
i would say that lately that most of these so called security programs are actually stores only to sale you more crap and the program installs
are huge they all do not rely on there avs to stay afloat but to sale you something you do not need if i choose any it would be
Windows defender and google scan now and then

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Can only comment on free:

Kaspersky Security Cloud free
FortiClient
Qihoo 360 (autosandboxing a new thing now-needs investigating but I have seen it work during installation of RollbackRx)/WiseVector

For a laptop that I travelled with, I would have one of the pay Kas programs for sure (maybe KIS?). Just use the laptop at home for now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.