What services in Windows 10 are safe to limit (set to Manual or Disabled)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Since the first time I tried the earliest Windows 10 builds, I was surprised to see its number of processes or services. By tweaking Windows 8.1 Pro, I was able to slim down the number of processes/services to 45 (no desktop apps running), but with Windows 10, even after some tweaking, the number is around 56 (no foreground app running).

I understand that some services are important for Windows 10 is much more cloud-inclined, and some services I think is for fitting the universal apps to my small screen resolution of 1024x600. (I could be wrong :))

So, what processes or services are safe to set to Manual or Disabled and still have Windows 10 function well?

Thanks.

Reactions: darko999

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I released a small list of stuff I did when I first upgraded. Thing with Blackviper is that before anyone decides to change services (if new to this), do some research first, see what does what before disabling/setting to manual.

D

Deleted member 178

You have almost nothing to disable now, most of the non-essential services are set by default to "manual" .

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually services of Microsoft Windows does not provide huge resources, its a 3rd party program contributes on the behavior of that OS.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Agree with you all. I still find Windows 8.1 to be much lighter and faster on my system.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Disabling services was something people did back in the XP days which was not optimized very well and processors was weak back then.

Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 are highly optimized and will shut down anything not needed automatically.
On top of that, most things aren't even started to begin with, but only gets enabled if and when needed.

Trying to do home optimization will just cause problems, since it's impossible to know the internal dependencies unless you have access to Microsoft source code and WAY to much time on your hands.

If you are having problems with resources, then I will bet that it's without a doubt due to OEM bloatware and not Windows itself.

Get rid of OEM bloat either manually or through a installation of a clean Windows, and the very same PC will suddenly run smooth and fast.

Reactions: LabZero

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Disabling services was something people did back in the XP days which was not optimized very well and processors was weak back then.

Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 are highly optimized and will shut down anything not needed automatically.
On top of that, most things aren't even started to begin with, but only gets enabled if and when needed.

Trying to do home optimization will just cause problems, since it's impossible to know the internal dependencies unless you have access to Microsoft source code and WAY to much time on your hands.

If you are having problems with resources, then I will bet that it's without a doubt due to OEM bloatware and not Windows itself.

Get rid of OEM bloat either manually or through a installation of a clean Windows, and the very same PC will suddenly run smooth and fast.
You are suggesting me a clean install then? I was thinking of that too. I just have to contact the software publishers to retain my licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.