What should I use for my lightweight config?

What is the best configuration for a gaming system? (Lightweight)

• Comodo Cloud + Qihoo 360

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • EAM + WF

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • G Data

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • ESET

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • ZAM + WF

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Panda Cloud

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
L

Local Host

Lightweight totally go with Panda, I found it uses the least resources compared to all the other offers.

ESET itself is also no longer extremely light compared to the other offers, nowadays most Anti-Virus are on even ground when it comes to performance hit (Kaspersky uses less resources than ESET, last time I checked).

Of course we're talking in standy and not during full scans (you shouldn't be scanning and playing games at the same time anyway).

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
If you use Win7, you can't beat Microsoft Security Essentials + Tinywall. Avast's GUI was slow a few months ago, even on my main rig (FX8350 + 16GB RAM), despite only having file shield+behaviour+game mode. On my laptop the performance hit was much more noticeable. Comodo v8 with the firewall active only, slowed down all disks operations on my laptop (E2-7110 + 8GB RAM) and i can even perceive a performance hit on my main rig (which also has SSD).

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
ESET itself is also no longer extremely light compared to the other offers, nowadays most Anti-Virus are on even ground when it comes to performance hit (Kaspersky uses less resources than ESET, last time I checked).
Eset Resource Usage.JPG
Yeah, it's true. But it's still very light

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Syafiq nice picture there.
But it's not always about ram usage.
A few years back Eset was using more ram but it terms of system performance was better than other products.
These days other companies have closed the gap but to me Eset seems to have a little advantage on system performance.
When playing a game things seem to run smoother when i am using Eset than other products.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Another vote for Avast Free + Windows Firewall (+Windows 10 Firewall Control would not hurt, literally zero impact).
Though some BSOD might occur, if Avast does not like your system, in that case pick KAV Free or Panda Cloud.

Avast's GUI was slow a few months ago, even on my main rig (FX8350 + 16GB RAM), despite only having file shield+behaviour+game mode.
You do not need to run Avast GUI, just disable self-protection and remove it from startup. It should get rid of popups as well. :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Another vote for Avast Free + Windows Firewall (+Windows 10 Firewall Control would not hurt, literally zero impact).
Though some BSOD might occur, if Avast does not like your system, in that case pick KAV Free or Panda Cloud.

You do not need to run Avast GUI, just disable self-protection and remove it from startup. It should get rid of popups as well. :)
just disable avast's hardware-assisted virtualization. There will virtually never be BSOD

I also recommend avast + WF
he should add his gaming folders to avast's exclusion

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
@Syafiq nice picture there.
But it's not always about ram usage.
A few years back Eset was using more ram but it terms of system performance was better than other products.
These days other companies have closed the gap but to me Eset seems to have a little advantage on system performance.
When playing a game things seem to run smoother when i am using Eset than other products.

Thanks for the response, I think im going with ESET. Do I have to put it on gaming mode? (Assuming it has it)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I will have to differ from opinions claiming all AV are light nowadays. On the last two years up to now i've used 4 antivirus, 6 months each. They were, in this order: Norton, Emsisoft, Kaspersky and ESET.

Norton was really light. Emsisoft was a bit heavier but it was also kind of light on my system. Kaspersky was a bit heavy and when tweaked for maximum protection it turned really heavy on the system. ESET, the one i'm using now, is the lightest i've tried. It's fully equipped with tweaking options and after configuring it for maximum protection is still the lightest.

Aforementioned, it's not all about RAM consuming. ESET consumes more RAM fully tweaked than Norton or Emsisoft did, but it's lighter. You'll have to try and test on your own system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.