What Softwares do you use fo Maintenance and Tweaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Softwares that I've use and liked in the past :TuneUp Utilities and
Auslogics BoostSpeed....
Now I'm using only Auslogics Disk Defrag and Ccleaner...As for the Tweaking....I feel like Windows 7 dosen't really need any tweaks... :D

So what are you using ?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I just use CCleaner. Revo to uninstall. Soluto to manage start-up programs and delay/stop some. Process Explorer to watch things. :)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
LaserWraith said:
I just use CCleaner. Revo to uninstall. Soluto to manage start-up programs and delay/stop some. Process Explorer to watch things. :)

And for defrag?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From Windows 7: Disk Defrag, Disk Cleanup.

Third Party Software: CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
CCleaner, PerfectDisk 11 Pro, Eusing Free Reg Cleaner & Driver Genius, that's pretty much it I guess. I have tried many but have settled on just these. Keep it as simple as possible ya know.

EMB117

Mar 15, 2011
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Driver Genius.

Do i need to have the scheduled windows defrag on? Because windows own defragmenter does something with the boot time.
I dont know if thats avaible in Auslogics.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Defrag = Smart Dfrag
Cleaning = CCleaner
Registry Cleaning = CCleaner
Registry Defrag = WinMend
Tweaking = GigaTweaker & TweakNow PowerPack
Start up control = Autoruns & CCleaner
Process Monitoring = Process Hacker
Uninstaller = Revo
Disk Imaging = Paragon

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Dieselman said:
Defrag = Smart Dfrag
Cleaning = CCleaner
Registry Cleaning = CCleaner
Registry Defrag = WinMend
Tweaking = GigaTweaker & TweakNow PowerPack
Start up control = Autoruns & CCleaner
Process Monitoring = Process Hacker
Uninstaller = Revo
Disk Imaging = Paragon

i'm just use ccleaner and tune up 2011
btw, why you use more's for maintenance?
and.. need to defrag registry?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Why pay for TuneUp when you can have free programs that do the same. Registry defrag is part of TU. If you had TU already then why did you ask in your other thread about what maintenance to use?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Diesel, don't forget you did use TuneUp Utilities before. How do you compare that to free products that you use now?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
I used it and tried it. I never bought it. I also made a thread in rM about paying for maintenance utilities.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I used TuneUp Utilities earlier but then i found out that most of it could be done automatically with Windows tools, so i decided to use those instead.

My arsenal:
  • Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter
  • Windows 7 Disk Cleanup
  • CCleaner
  • SyInternals Autoruns, Process Explorer
  • Group Policy

Defrag, cleaning, backup, Hitman Pro scan and MBAM update is done weekly through Windows Task Scheduler (So i don't have to do anything myself :D ).
I use Group Policy to apply tweaks like disable autorun, search from the start menu etc.

I don't clean my registry.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
  • Defrag: Auslogics Disk Defrag + the auto optimization Win7 does using it's own defragmenter
  • Cleaning: CCleaner, TweakNow Powerpack has a feature that cleans files based on extension (*.tmp, *.old)
  • Registry Cleaning: CCleaner and TweakNow Powerpack (rarely though, if some uninstallers left registry keys behind)
  • Registry Defrag: TweakNow Powerpack (if I have time, not much impact on system performance anyway)
  • Task Manager: Process Hacker
  • Tweaking: Not much to tweak at this point, my win7 install is pretty old. I used to spend some time making reg files with my tweaks under XP, but I'm not going to do that at this age :). If I'll format + reinstall I'll probably use TweakNow PowerPack to alter some changes and gpedit.msc for the rest.
  • Startup Manager: Autoruns
  • Full image backup: Acronis True Image WD Edition.

Notes: TweakNow PowerPack is new on my system, I like it so far. Previously used Glary Utilities Portable for some maintenance.
I like Revo Uninstaller but I find that deleting leftovers by hand on a regular bases isn't that hard. I rarely install new software so I don't really need that much cleaning anyway.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Glary never shows all my start ups. Either does ASC. Both of those show only 2 start up item when I have 10. WinOpimizer,TuneUp and BoostSpeed all show the correct number of start up item but then again you need to pay for them.

As I said awhile back in a thread.........................Once the tweaks are applied then your set. The program is pretty much done. So actually what are you paying for? Not worth the money what so ever. TU 2010 was good but 2011 has become slow and bloated.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I don't anything else but Autoruns to manage my startup items. I really like these type of small apps that do one thing but do it really good. I can't find an all-in-one app that can replace these small apps entirely. I totally agree with you Dieselman, paying for tweaking apps and all those memory optimization stuff is not a good investment. Spending too much time tweaking & cleaning is not worth it. Time is your most precious possession.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Dieselman said:
Glary never shows all my start ups. Either does ASC. Both of those show only 2 start up item when I have 10. WinOpimizer,TuneUp and BoostSpeed all show the correct number of start up item but then again you need to pay for them.

As I said awhile back in a thread.........................Once the tweaks are applied then your set. The program is pretty much done. So actually what are you paying for? Not worth the money what so ever. TU 2010 was good but 2011 has become slow and bloated.

yep
i thought that too
slow and not optimal :p
hmm.. i'm must change it
you gave reccomend? just use auslogics disk defrag or boost speed?

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
BoostSpeed = Full suite which cost money. Auslogics disk defrag is free and one component of BoostSpeed. Try Smart Defrag and try Auslogics. See which one you like best. Smart Defrag has more features and also does a boot defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.