Advice Request What third party engine would you recommend if could only choose one?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What third party engine would you recommend if could only choose one?

• Avira

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 33 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

petersaints

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
My question is simple. Between the BitDefender and the Avira engines present on 360 Total Security, which one would choose if you could only have one of them enabled? Which one do you prefer? Which one gives the best protection and which one has less impact on computer performance (i.e., CPU and RAM usage)?

I'm asking this question because I'm considering trying out 360 Total Security once again, but I think it's a bit of an overkill to use both third party engines. I mean, the default settings and engines should be fine for me. However, since 360 Total Security relies so much on cloud protection, I would feel more at peace if I knew that there was one last line of defense in the form of a traditional AV engine. Still, having both Avira and BitDefender enabled seems to be a waste of computer resources, thus I want to know your opinions.

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
If you're an advance user and want to go light then I recommend not using the 3rd party engines. However, if you do want only one engine, I would go for Bitdefender. The Bitdefender engine mas much more detections in terms of on-demand scans and on-access scans and has relatively the same consumption as the Avira engine. :D

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@petersaints As we are talking about the engines in 360 Total Security, enabling the Bitdefender engine would use more resources so for lightness using Avira + Qihoo Cloud would be good, also Bitdefender + Qihoo Cloud would be a little heavier on resources but still a good choice. As @XavierGaming stated using the Qihoo Cloud only is still good and very light. Bear in mind the Avira engine within it is usually a few hours behind and the Bitdefender engine sometimes is even three days behind, so in my opinion using the Bitdefender engine will just use more resources, using days old databases within an AV is useless. Avira + Qihoo Cloud or Qihoo Cloud only will protect you enough. :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
For me, clearly Avira. I rely on Cloud only, very good detection, in combination with that aggressive HIPS, though having both engines installed (just in case), they receive their updates regularly. And this is the point of the matter: BD often lags behind, or does not update automatically [sometimes], or manual update needs to be pushed some times to get the newest definitions. Have seen this behaviour more than 1, maybe 1.5 years, and is still present.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
QUOTE:
I think it's a bit of an overkill to use both third party engines.
UNQUOTE

reading the CONS and the info in the article, you will see that to get FULL protection you will need to enable both engines, that is why I asked my question below:

Do not have to enable the Avira Engine???

I am trying to see if anyone else is having failures trying to update the avira engine.
Avira is working again for me, had an issue these days for one day, fixing itself (did not reinstall QTS 360 nor the whole system).

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
@Der.Reisende
still not updating with avira engine, have uninstalled and reinstalled twice (the engine) and once with the whole antivirus.
Very strange :( Maybe you contact Qihoo support on that? I have found them quite user-oriented in the past :)
Can't post a current update log (I clean up those logs regularly), but here's a screenshot showing all engines are up to date (even BD after some tries). Note that I have BD + Avira deactivated, I only turn them on for Full Scans.

Reactions: frogboy

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
@Der.Reisende

have submitted a feedback to 360, just now, will post when I get an answer.

@TheMalwareMaster:

I know that their engines are not up to date, but I have set a daily scan and do a full scan once a week, seems to be keeping me clean, :) so far.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
It hard to choose between this two, both are good engines. From what i've read Avira is a much a prefered by Qihoo users. Qihoo hardly slows down my computer when last i tested it even all engines are activated but it does consumed more resources.

If high detection with low resource what the OP are looking for than it woud better to switch to the cloud only engine and run a second multi-cloud engine of Zemana Antimalwware in realtime. However past reviewers experience says Qihoo cloud engine are prone to false detection. Don't know if it still so.
Qihoo have good HIPS but with decent removal capabilities with the intergration of Zemana cloud engines i think it is a powerful combination. low resource and light on your PC performance.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well its a mixture of observation of users comments, the main basis here is how matured engines act when there software performs against those malicious threats.

That will be the answer for that question.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
Very strange :( Maybe you contact Qihoo support on that? I have found them quite user-oriented in the past :)
Can't post a current update log (I clean up those logs regularly), but here's a screenshot showing all engines are up to date (even BD after some tries). Note that I have BD + Avira deactivated, I only turn them on for Full Scans.

Well, I waited quite a few days, got an email from support that it was the chinese new year and they would follow up afterwards. So I uninstalled the program and reinstalled again only this time instead of the offline install, I performed the online install, avira and bitdefender and program are all updating fine now.

Thanks, :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Well, I waited quite a few days, got an email from support that it was the chinese new year and they would follow up afterwards. So I uninstalled the program and reinstalled again only this time instead of the offline install, I performed the online install, avira and bitdefender and program are all updating fine now.

Thanks, :)
Thank You for letting me know:) Glad to hear your problems are gone now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.