Advice Request What unnecessary security software have you bought before?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Going back in time...
-SuperAntiSpyware x 2-lifetime licenses. It's just absolute garbage. When I occasionally still see that people here at MWT still use this -- I know that they just don't get it. It's worthless.

More Recent...
-WinPatrol WAR lifetime license. This was a dog right from the start. I didn't even actually use it more than a few weeks. Just crapware.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
A number of third party antivirus suites I won't name. Had I known then what I do now, I could've saved almost a couple hundred bucks. The antivirus packages I bought, I respect and admire the companies, but I don't need them. The only thing I'll pay for is Sandboxie. The rest is "free" but effective: software restrictions via gpedit.msc plus OSArmor w/custom settings.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
ReasonCore Security Premium
Malwarebytes
Webroot
Fortknox Firewall
Iobit Malware fighter

These programs are on my, sorry I bought them list,and are not being used
good we will see, in case of Malwarebytes, if it was bought some time ago, this is justified because it was the best in its genre and today it also serves

In the case of Fortknox Firewall it was a good Firewall at that time.

In the case of Webroot, it also had its moment of splendor.

Time passes and what is good today becomes obsolete tomorrow.:giggle:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
[snip]
Shadow Defender (lifetime)
[snip
There are probably others... that I've thankfully forgotten :p

I had a few of yours too, and I have Shadow Defender installed, don't use it that often, but when I do, it seems to work as advertised, ie, what's regrettful about SD, just curious. Is is unnecessary or better apps that do something similar??

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Winpatrol lifetime license...I made a real effort to make it helpful. I now use Microsoft Autoruns and Process Explorer. It's enough for me!

I also bought WinPatrol, not because I needed it, but because I heard of Bill's health problems and sort of sympathized with his efforts to increase security on early Windows OS-ses. Soon after he sold his business and his successor killed his brainchild. So not really regretting the purchase, but more the way his heritage was handled.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
-SuperAntiSpyware x 2-lifetime licenses. It's just absolute garbage. When I occasionally still see that people here at MWT still use this -- I know that they just don't get it. It's worthless.
I respectfully disagree. It's not the best software out there, but it does a decent job.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.