Advice Request What unnecessary security software have you bought before?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most paid security programs have a trial period, or at least a demo version or a beta program or something. It usually doesn't take me that long to decide whether it is a keeper.
The only exception I can think of is AppGuard. No trial, no demo, and very expensive. But they do offer a refund within 30 days of purchase, and I got my refund! (At the time, false rumors were going around that the home user version would be discontinued, so I cancelled.)

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Norton and Avast, can't remember which I bought after the other but it was around 2016. Norton was unusable and "disconnected" with that horrible several year old bug that wanted me to reinstall after a week and this was when Avast really went on the path of we want your data. Shame for the latter, I've used it for many years and it was the first AV I ever used.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I respectfully disagree. It's not the best software out there, but it does a decent job.

Look up the final SAS tests from many years ago. While many products were getting 95%+ detection, SAS was in the 50's. Yes, it was really detecting about half of what everybody else was.

It got a "Dismal" rating in a PC magazine.

And then... it stopped being tested.

There are MANY security products that never get tested. And often, and certainly in the case of SAS, it's because they are not worth the time to test.

A truism in online security products is that the best ones make sure they get tested -- as that is the very best "proof" and/or advertising they can get. Good test results. Products that test poorly make excuses and avoid testing. And that's just the way it is..

SAS is garbage.

I would not let my dog run SAS on her computer.

But.... everybody should run what they believe gives them the best security for the money that they choose to spend -- even if that is just free products.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Look up the final SAS tests from many years ago. While many products were getting 95%+ detection, SAS was in the 50's. Yes, it was really detecting about half of what everybody else was.

It got a "Dismal" rating in a PC magazine.

And then... it stopped being tested.

There are MANY security products that never get tested. And often, and certainly in the case of SAS, it's because they are not worth the time to test.

A truism in online security products is that the best ones make sure they get tested -- as that is the very best "proof" and/or advertising they can get. Good test results. Products that test poorly make excuses and avoid testing. And that's just the way it is..

SAS is garbage.

I would not let my dog run SAS on her computer.

But.... everybody should run what they believe gives them the best security for the money that they choose to spend -- even if that is just free products.
Those are mere assumptions. ZoneAlarm is hardly ever tested by official websites, yet look at the YouTube videos. It's one of the only security suits that can block most anti-ransomware and restore the files.

Here are some recent good reviews for Superantispyware:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Those are mere assumptions. ZoneAlarm is hardly ever tested by official websites, yet look at the YouTube videos. It's one of the only security suits that can block most anti-ransomware and restore the files.

ZoneAlarm is using Kaspersky SDK, ofcourse it is going to have good results.

Super AntiSpyware was good (2006 era), but it has been years that it is nothing more than a glorified cookie scanner.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

I'm sorry that you confuse referrer download websites with actual review and/or test results.

All of those are just referrers... they don't test, they don't do legit reviews. They don't even list legit user reviews. They are basically.... nothing... of information value.

SAS was actually tested by real testing organizations and failed miserably.

Here is a review that actually included testing by a known source.

And it's never gotten better.

But if SAS makes you happy, by all means.... use it.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
'm sorry that you confuse referrer download websites with actual review and/or test results.

All of those are just referrers... they don't test, they don't do legit reviews. They don't even list legit user reviews. They are basically.... nothing... of information value.

While their download links are usually current, none of their other info can be relied upon.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I had my regrets in the past. Mostly software I had trialed and was using for a time and suddenly an update breaks something necessary for my work. Such as the time Bitdefender marked all internal systems from my country's judiciary system as displaying malicious behavior blocking me from using the systems even after whitelisting them.

So all of a sudden Bitdender blocked me, a lawyer, from accessing any judicial system...

Eventually they fixed it but now only my father-in-law is using that license

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well, I do not have to regret never paying for Av. I'm a Promotions Hunter.
That's why I'm a Bribon.:p
Avast Premier was a promotion at £5 for 2 Years.

Even if you're a promo hunter, have there been instances you've bought by impulse? For example, $3 for 10 licenses. "It's a bargain!! I only need 1 of the 10 licenses"

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Avast Premier was a promotion at £5 for 2 Years.

Even if you're a promo hunter, have there been instances you've bought by impulse? For example, $3 for 10 licenses. "It's a bargain!! I only need 1 of the 10 licenses"
That has happened with my friends who bought 3x1 licenses and they have given me one, but I have never bought them and I have always had good programs, without being cracked.:LOL:

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I got the winpatrol package from a sale (the now dead stuff with the doggy). It was a cheap lifetime license and I thought they would develop it further. I was wrong.
I got Heimdal Home? and there were rumors (here) they would add the antivirus engine to all the home? versions when they release the new product line. Since it was a lifetime license I couldn't resist the temptation. They never added the av engine for which I bought it.
I see lifetime licenses as a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.