Advice Request What unnecessary security software have you bought before?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I don't remember such unncessary security apps...paid apps on my systems was the result of promotions or as the trial version...I've allways tried rather to find similar free fuctionaly replacement or find something completely diferent solution that can resolve my problems/needs in other way.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I got the winpatrol package from a sale (the now dead stuff with the doggy). It was a cheap lifetime license and I thought they would develop it further. I was wrong.
I see lifetime licenses as a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes not.

I still find the Winpatrol package (the three software) very good at that discounted price about $15 so it is not a big loss. I have a feeling that they will continue the development. For lifetime licenses we are definitely players as you said.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
AdGuard (lifetime)
AdMuncher (lifetime)
AX64 Time Machine
Avira Antivirus
Malwarebytes (lifetime)
Shadow Defender (lifetime)
WinPatrol (lifetime)
WinPatrol WAR (lifetime)
WinPrivacy (lifetime)

There are probably others... that I've thankfully forgotten :p

Good list there @Telos ! However, I'd say AdGuard (lifetime) isn't regretful nor is Shadow Defender (lifetime). Both of those applications have a home still and are still kicking. As for the rest I'd agree with your list.

I have personally gotten some great deals on AdGuard (lifetime) from Bitsdujour during large sale time frames that I got for more than 90% off.

If we include VPN software as security software, there are lot of offers for lifetime licences. I bought a 3 year licence for Windscribe: I should have bought a lifetime ...for 20 bucks more...Bad decision!

@Back3 Oh I hear ya' about VPN software. Windscribe use to have bargain prices going on for lifetime. That's why I got 2 of the lifetime licenses. Now I'm not seeing the lifetime licenses being offered which would state that the company is making a nice steady revenue now. The unlimited devices with Windscribe is amazing - wowzers! I still am rocking it out with Windscribe as my primary VPN along with Avira Phantom VPN. Avira Phantom VPN (lifetime license that again I got from Bitsdujour) is my secondary VPN that I use every so often.

I must say I have gotten some good deals through the years. I haven't had many regrettable software buys, but I'm very picky and choosy about what software I do buy. The only software I may regret is Norton should it come out that their source code was utterly compromised... We shall see about that.. Otherwise, all solid deals that I never pay full price on.

~Brian

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
However, I'd say AdGuard (lifetime) isn't regretful
In the sense that it does what it says... OK.... but it is very heavy on resources and https filtering is a kludge for me. Page loads bog down for me... and troubleshooting connection issues is a hassle more often than not. I uninstalled it and use uBO for browsing and take the ad hit on any apps that aren't filtered by my router and DNS sources.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In the sense that it does what it says... OK.... but it is very heavy on resources and https filtering is a kludge for me. Page loads bog down for me... and troubleshooting connection issues is a hassle more often than not. I uninstalled it and use uBO for browsing and take the ad hit on any apps that aren't filtered by my router and DNS sources.
You could use the browser extension of AdGuard only, it's free (like I do).
And thank you for supporting the development by paying for the full version (like I did). (y)

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Norton 2004. It didn't survive a reformat, so I had to purchase it TWICE. I also felt that CA Antivirus was a waste of money, with its slow performance and huge updates over dial-up, so I began using Avast Free 4.x. I've never paid for security software since and, at least according to second-opinion scanners, I've never been infected. (I'm a low-risk user who doesn't download warez or torrents. I usually encourage high-risk users to buy a Kaspersky or Emsisoft product.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.