Advice Request What unnecessary security software have you bought before?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Norton 2004. It didn't survive a reformat, so I had to purchase it TWICE. I also felt that CA Antivirus was a waste of money, with its slow performance and huge updates over dial-up, so I began using Avast Free 4.x. I've never paid for security software since and, at least according to second-opinion scanners, I've never been infected. (I'm a low-risk user who doesn't download warez or torrents. I usually encourage high-risk users to buy a Kaspersky or Emsisoft product.)
In 2004 times or times near that, the security suites were not that powerful to protect users. For example, only a few solutions like MBAM and Kaspersky detected and removed rogue Security products. Norton was not able to detect and remove the same.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
In 2004 times or times near that, the security suites were not that powerful to protect users. For example, only a few solutions like MBAM and Kaspersky detected and removed rogue Security products. Norton was not able to detect and remove the same.
Interestingly, the only confirmed viruses I had occurred while using the paid products Norton AV and CA Antivirus. Their marketing hype was great, but the products, not so much.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
avira.
I purchased a one-year license, but the only difference was that the definition file was updated more frequently. No pop-up ads will appear. But I started receiving emails.
It was like rain that an umbrella could not prevent.:censored:

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Microsoft One Care 3 year Subscription in 2007 after testing it in 2005, and severely infecting my first AMD Athlon XP 2500 system, ((figured was my own fault, so went ahead and purchased it for 3 computers once it was fully released

Then they switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, and that was end of that subscription by 2009 lol

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I bought a Panda Dome Essentials license back in 2018:
Screenshot 2020-10-07 230241.png
I don't know why; a brief bout of insanity maybe?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Bought a year's subscription to Sandboxie, and then 8 months into it, it went open source just prior to Sophos' sale to Thoma Bravo. Worked perfectly until very recently, when it reportedly became incompatible with certain chromium browsers. First went Vivaldi, then Google Chrome. Brave may well be next. Opera just updated to 71.0.3770.228, which is Chrome version 85.0.4183.121; therefore, it still works on here. It's chromium version 86.x that will put the nail in the coffin for my fave software.

No one currently seems to be developing the 5.x branch despite earlier promises and the other fork has an unsigned certificate at the moment.

Unless there's a miracle: Bye, SBIE. It was nice knowing ya.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
What is wrong with Adguard purchase? I would like to know because I am thinking about lifetime licences for all devices in family.
Nothing as far as I know, i have it on 4 androids and 3 windows machines and never had a problem unless I was using the nightly channel. And an incompatibility with both Kaspersky and ESET a few years ago.

L

Local Host

Its heavy on resouces and slows down your computer a lot, its pretty pointless aswell,
Something clearly is wrong with your PC, Adguard on my PC uses ~10MB and barely any CPU cycles (0.1%).

Most complains are in terms of Internet speed, but even there I have no issues since I have Fiber (Adguard hasn't affected my speeds whatsoever).

I do have recurring issues with the APP on Android.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.