Advice Request What unnecessary security software have you bought before?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
That was the case for me every time i tried it in past. But latest update seems pretty good. I am not having any slowdown and it is very light on resources. As @Local Host said it is not taking more than 10 MB on my PC either.
Still, why pay or use an adblocker that just slows down your computer and internet?

Reactions: Nevi

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Something clearly is wrong with your PC, Adguard on my PC uses ~10MB and barely any CPU cycles (0.1%).

Most complains are in terms of Internet speed, but even there I have no issues since I have Fiber (Adguard hasn't affected my speeds whatsoever).

I do have recurring issues with the APP on Android.
Still, why pay or use an adblocker that just slows down your computer and internet?

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Nothing as far as I know, i have it on 4 androids and 3 windows machines and never had a problem unless I was using the nightly channel. And an incompatibility with both Kaspersky and ESET a few years ago.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015

Never had any slowdowns, the only time I even remember it's there is when it blocks a potentially malicious site r asks if it can update the main program. |Now why have it?

1) it blocks ads in the entire system, so I wasn't even aware Microsoft had added ads to the start menu and skype some time ago.
2) I don't have to select lists and configure adblocker extensions in every browser I use, just in the central Adguard software. Once I set an exception or personalized rule it instantly affects the entire system.
3) adblocking is just one of its functions, it offers anti-tracking, parental control and in the last version system-wide DNS over HTTPS.
4) I can easily export settings in a computer and import in another instantly having it configured as I want it.

Seriously I see no reason not to use it nor am I aware of any software that offers all its functions. But if it slows down your machine then don't use it.

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
Something is wrong with your PC if Adguard is noticeably slowing it down.....There can be an initial delay which you 'perceive' as slow down but trust me, once your webpage starts loading instantly (without adguard) and then starts to stall and crawl loading all those script, ads and what else, it's not very funny.

Or you have to sift through ten's of "download" icons and text to figure out where the actual download button is
Or clicking on a search box opens up a pop up
Or the website formatting or screen estate is eaten up by 20%+ and upwards of ads.
Or you end up opening unsafe links (potentially)

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Never had any slowdowns, the only time I even remember it's there is when it blocks a potentially malicious site r asks if it can update the main program. |Now why have it?

1) it blocks ads in the entire system, so I wasn't even aware Microsoft had added ads to the start menu and skype some time ago.
2) I don't have to select lists and configure adblocker extensions in every browser I use, just in the central Adguard software. Once I set an exception or personalized rule it instantly affects the entire system.
3) adblocking is just one of its functions, it offers anti-tracking, parental control and in the last version system-wide DNS over HTTPS.
4) I can easily export settings in a computer and import in another instantly having it configured as I want it.

Seriously I see no reason not to use it nor am I aware of any software that offers all its functions. But if it slows down your machine then don't use it.
1. I have had no ads whatsoever in my start menu
2. You dont need to, it already does its job
3. All of which other solutions like NextDNS have
4. Again, it isnt unique.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
But what about android. I have tried Blokada but constant crashes and No Internet issues are too much for me. All other solutions are DNS based and also adguard also offers a somewhat usable firewall on android. I was using NetGuard previously but it was draining battery.
Android you have either dns66 or blockada which use less battery as Netguard although if you use Netguard from github, most apps will not show battery usage and instead will be all dumped to Netguard basically.
None of the 3 above will get rid of empty space despite blocking adds based on hosts you configure.

Adguard for android however does remove the spaces (the app itself, not the dns only option).

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
XYplorer is my goto Windows Explorer replacement. I use the free version at work also. There is a nice little trick (NO cracks, illegal downloads etc) I use to not have to purchase it. I get each new version and it's amazing, feature packed and lightweight! I would get the lifetime version if they added zip folder functionality.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.