What would it take to get you to run IE9 on Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Thread author
Microsoft has launched a holiday promotion to attempt to get more Windows 7 and Vista users to try Internet Explorer 9...
Read More

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Some freebies wont make me turn to ie9, im happy with chrome and im going to stick with it

I

illumination

Thread author
imsoadude said:
Some freebies wont make me turn to ie9, im happy with chrome and im going to stick with it

This is pretty much the jest of the article, and seems the Author felt the same way, as well as some of those that commented below it!

I

illumination

Thread author
IE9 all in all, is a great browser, it needs some "tweaking" done yet, and needs more extensions and add ons to become compatible with it. There have been vast improvements in the security and performance of IE, but still has much room for improvement.. Microsoft should not be wasting their time with this Promo/giveaway, and should be focused on engineering IE to a better specification!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If they can have themes that you can add to IE9 and addons to it I would say then it would be higher in the rankings of browsers.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
The only thing i really need in IE to make it a viable primary browser, is a better way to show extensions in the UI. The toolbars for IE are ugly, which is a shame because IE 9 is, in my opinion, the best looking browser out there.

Microsoft should not be wasting their time with this Promo/giveaway, and should be focused on engineering IE to a better specification!
Just FYI, this is done by PR/marketing teams, it has nothing to do with the devs.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
IE9 is a nice browser, but it lacks speed in launching and closing. It is the slowest browser to launch that I have tried and when I close it, the Windows time symbol just sets there for a few seconds and then finally closes.

IE addon browsers like Slim Browser and Maxthon can use IE9 engine but are very fast and supports a lot of extra skins, themes and extensions. You can even use IE Tab extensions on Firefox and Chrome that are much faster than IE9.

So really there is nothing that IE9 can offer that isn't already included in other browsers.

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Agreed. In the past 2 days I have been using Google Chrome and so far I have liked it and all it's features that come with it. Been using IE9 before hand, and wanted a change.

I

illumination

Thread author
iPanik said:
Just FYI, this is done by PR/marketing teams, it has nothing to do with the devs.

This is known, i was referring to the over all scheme of things with Microsoft. They have control of the PR as well as the Devs, and instead of enticing the public with free give aways to try and gain back some market share, they should be focused on continuing the over all improvements on IE..

I

illumination

Thread author
Littlebits said:
IE9 is a nice browser, but it lacks speed in launching and closing. It is the slowest browser to launch that I have tried and when I close it, the Windows time symbol just sets there for a few seconds and then finally closes.

IE addon browsers like Slim Browser and Maxthon can use IE9 engine but are very fast and supports a lot of extra skins, themes and extensions. You can even use IE Tab extensions on Firefox and Chrome that are much faster than IE9.

So really there is nothing that IE9 can offer that isn't already included in other browsers.

Thanks.:D
These are IE addon browsers, not IE.. There are many addons and extensions that work with firefox and Chrome that do not with IE.. It is what keeps a majority of people from using IE. I have to also agree with ipanik that IE has a very nice UI other then the way the toolbars are presented.. So there is much Microsoft could do with IE, that would entice more people to give it a try.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Extensions, Themes and better performance are one of the biggest factors that can entice people to use IE.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Extensions, Themes and better performance are one of the biggest factors that can entice people to use IE.

+1 especially extensions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
IE9 gave a promising browser but for future release it may add something new. For security IE9 would be graded A+ there.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
IE9 still crashes like previous versions. I hate it and I stuck to Comodo Dragon few days ago and found it to be excellent!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I don't about the Opera, but Chrome and and Internet Explorer create multiple processes compared to Firefox which only creates 1, and that is for the whole program when it is open. If Microsoft fix that in the future I would be using IE alot more.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
A 10 year, 300 million pound contract, with a 60 million pound signing bonus.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
One thing IE9 can offer that others cannot, is the integrated SmartScreeen Technology.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Isn't IE9 offered as Windows Update by default?It would be interesting to see how many Windows 7 user are actually NOT running IE9......
A good way for Microsoft to fix this problem is to implement an auto-update feature in IE9... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.