Poll What would you choose for an OS drive? NVme ssd with DRAM or one without Dram

What would you choose for an OS drive?

• Total voters
Budget
$70

Brahman

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I was using a single NVME SSD for both my Windows and Linux os, but I am thinking of adding a separate os drive for Linux. The longevity of the drive is not that important to me, since you can get a new one for peanuts and I don't want to spend too much money on an expensive NVME SSD. So what do you suggest, would a 256GB dram less one suffice?

Stopspying

Level 16
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've been running both Win and Linux OSs on a NVme ssd with DRAM for 2-3 years and have not noticed any issues with it. I'm wondering why you are considering another separate NVme for Linux.

Brahman

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I've been running both Win and Linux OSs on a NVme ssd with DRAM for 2-3 years and have not noticed any issues with it. I'm wondering why you are considering another separate NVme for Linux.
I have a habit of distro hopping. If you have a seperate drive you can have the Linux efi folder on the Linux drive itself and the efi folder of windows is not messed up whenever a new distro is installed.

Stopspying

Level 16
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I have a habit of distro hopping. If you have a seperate drive you can have the Linux efi folder on the Linux drive itself and the efi folder of windows is not messed up whenever a new distro is installed.
OK, thanks for the answer, that makes sense. I used to swap distros much more than I do now, so I see your reasoning.

Reactions: Jack and Brahman

Stopspying

Level 16
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've been using Fedora the most recently. Other distos that I've used over the last few years have been openSUSE, CentOS, Kali, Qubes, Tails, Trisquel and Manjaro. Further back I used Mint and PCLinux, before then Ubuntu was what I used most when I first started using Linux. I've also used smaller distros mounted on thumbdrives like Puppy.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Jack and Brahman