Advice Request Whatever happened to Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 (En version)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I remember beta testing this product several years ago, it was very good from what I saw. I have a few questions;

1. Why was it discontinued?
2. Has it evolved into another Chinese product, that is not available in English?
3. Who owns / operates Kingsoft? Was it re-branded or bought out?

Last edited:

From what I've heard, the security software is now handled by Beijing Jinshan Security Software Co., Ltd. which appears to either be owned by Kingsoft or influenced by Kingsoft in some shape or form. The name "Kingsoft" translates to "Jīnshān" in Chinese.

They offer security software but there isn't an English version as far as I am aware. I do not know how trustworthy their security software offerings are or how safe they are in terms of security and privacy. I have never looked at them.

Take all of this with a grain of salt.

I thought Kingsoft was morphed into WPS?

According to the WPS About Page:

• A fully owned subsidiary of the publicly traded software and internet services company Kingsoft Corp (ir.kingsoft.com)
  • Offices in US, China and Hong Kong
  • Over 900 employees
  • 6 R&D centers

Kingsoft do a lot of things outside of WPS Office as well though, and they also have ties to the same sort of things that the Chinese company I mentioned earlier is tied to, so the chances of them being associated or even influenced/owned by Kingsoft is extremely high.

We already know that Kingsoft reside in China and Hong Kong as well.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
They only stopped publishing the English language version. A few years before they released their free antivirus they had a paid antivirus, Kingsoft Internet Security, which they offered a 180 day trial for and they had a very active English support forum for it. It was noticably slowing down my computer and I posted on their forum. They offered to troubleshoot the issue. They accessed my computer using TeamViewer, or some other remote access software to try and find the cause of the slowdowns. It turned out (as I had believed) that is was just an issue with the antivirus being fairly heavy, but I appreciated their efforts.

The Clean Master junk cleaning apps for Android and Windows, are published by Cheetah Mobile which is a subsidiary of Kingsoft.

dpak4u

May 5, 2021
I still like this antivirus to keep my old windows updated as it excellent vulnerability scan which none of the Antivirus have done till date.

Had searched whole internet and got the link , easier for anyone next. Very less memory footprint on memory and next had a infection
on old xp win 7 computers when this is used.

>> Searched whole internet and got the link <<
and

Reactions: roger_m

dpak4u

May 5, 2021
From what I've heard, the security software is now handled by Beijing Jinshan Security Software Co., Ltd. which appears to either be owned by Kingsoft or influenced by Kingsoft in some shape or form. The name "Kingsoft" translates to "Jīnshān" in Chinese.

They offer security software but there isn't an English version as far as I am aware. I do not know how trustworthy their security software offerings are or how safe they are in terms of security and privacy. I have never looked at them.

Take all of this with a grain of salt.
English version I have posted now. Check my reply for Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 download .exe link

Reactions: roger_m

dpak4u

May 5, 2021
I remember beta testing this product several years ago, it was very good from what I saw. I have a few questions;

1. Why was it discontinued?
2. Has it evolved into another Chinese product, that is not available in English?
3. Who owns / operates Kingsoft? Was it re-branded or bought out?

View attachment 216695

I found forum using image search :) , here are the links for EN version

Kingsoft Antivirus 2012

Download Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 for Windows to protect your computer with antivirus powered by cloud security system.
download.cnet.com
download.cnet.com
and

kav_setup.exe

drive.google.com
drive.google.com

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.