Advice Request Whats about ASC (Advanced SystemCare) Portable?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Should I use it for a deeper clean every Week?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Often, it will be hundreds of megabytes and sometimes, gigabytes of data.
Which program creates gigabytes of data for no reason?

There is no software that will create gigabytes of removable data. There are system tools, such as WDC, that will remove megabytes/gigabytes of data from a particular software, only to have the software rebuild that data on launch.

Edit: The only software that will create gigabytes of removable data is Google Chrome (or similar), only if the history/cache isn't cleaned often.

Reactions: Weebarra

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Yea. Here, If you want to use a program does not do anything stupid like that, use this:
Bash:
@echo off
:ENTER
CLS
echo.
echo ================================================================================
echo                        Set and Run Cleanmanager Profiles
echo ================================================================================
echo                                                                     By Yellowing
echo.
echo   [1] Set a profile
echo   [2] Run a profile
echo   Space or CTRL+C to exit.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.

set ask=0
set /p ask="Choose: "
if %ask%==1 goto SET
if %ask%==2 goto RUN
goto ENTER

:SET
echo.
echo ================================ Set a profile =================================
echo.
set prof=0
set /p prof="Choose Profile number (1-65535): "
echo.
@echo on
Cleanmgr.exe /sageset:%prof%
@echo off

:ASK
echo.
echo =============================== Run this profile? ==============================
echo.
echo   (Type "yes" or "y")
echo   Space or CTRL+C to exit
echo.
echo.

set ask=0
set /p ask="Choose: "
if %ask%==yes goto RUNWITH
if %ask%==y goto RUNWITH
goto ASK

:RUN
echo.
echo ================================ Set a profile =================================
echo.
set prof=0
set /p prof="Choose Profile number (1-65535): "

:RUNWITH
@echo on
Cleanmgr.exe /sagerun:%prof%
@echo off
goto END

:END
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo -----------------------------------All done!------------------------------------
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pause
If you check everything, including system stuff with the button in the bottomo, it will probably also remove gigabytes of data. (After a windows update)

Just make profile 1, set everything and run it. After that you can also simply create a link on your desktop to "Cleanmgr.exe /sagerun:1" and you'll have made yourself a one-click cleanup.

Reactions: oldschool

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Which program creates gigabytes of data for no reason?
I've had AOMEI Backupper create a log file, many gigabytes in size when doing a backup. This is not normal behaviour, but it is an example of how you can end up with large amounts of data which can be cleaned.
There is no software that will create gigabytes of removable data.
Actually there is. The following is just one example.
DriverToolkit.png

This is the download folder for the driver update software DriverToolkit. It downloads driver updates and never deletes them after installing them, even though the files are no longer needed. There is no disk cleaning software that scans for data from DriverToolkit. But, there is other software which creates lots of data, which can be cleaned by disk cleaning software.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Your problem is a lot bigger than gigabytes of removable data from your Downloads folder. Stop using driver update software.
I've been using driver update software for 14 years and am not going to stop using it now, just because you think its a bad idea. I find using driver update software a lot quicker and easier to download and install any missing drivers, after doing a clean install of Windows, than manually finding, downloading and installing the needed drivers.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
I've been using driver update software for 14 years and am not going to stop using it now, just because you think its a bad idea.
I didn't mean to offend you, I am not singling you out by any means. It is a pretty widely shared sentiment that driver update software does more harm than good. I've personally bricked my system a few times using driver update software before learning my lesson. Always trust your manufacturer and Windows Updates more than automated software with possible third-party drivers.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I didn't mean to offend you, I am not singling you out by any means. It is a pretty widely shared sentiment that driver update software does more harm than good. I've personally bricked my system a few times using driver update software before learning my lesson. Always trust your manufacturer and Windows Updates more than automated software with possible third-party drivers.
I know that driver update software can cause problems. But, I know how to fix any issues if they arise. Even in the rare case that a bad driver update makes my system unbootable, I can fix it, without having to reinstall Windows or restore my system from a working backup.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Don't some driver updater actually download from the manufacturer?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Don't some driver updater actually download from the manufacturer?
They use the drivers provided by the hardware manufacturer. Some such as Wise Driver Care and DriverHub, often provide drivers provided by the computer manufacturer, in preference to drivers provided by the device maker. So for example, on some of my HP ProBooks, Wise Driver Care will download the HP's IDT audio driver, rather than a generic one from IDT. This is actually a good thing, as the HP driver has SRS sound enhancements and without that enabled, the sound from the laptop speakers, lacks bass.

An exception to the above, is DriverMax. Some of the video drivers it installs, are custom third party drivers. It also, never actually indicates if a driver is an official or third party one.

Contrary to popular belief, none of these driver update programs download malware.

Last edited:

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
There is no official portable version of ASC. The official version of ASC is safe to use and won't cause any problems, despite what some people will claim. But, there are alternatives that find more junk files. Both Wise Disk Cleaner and HDCleaner are much better options, as they can clean junk files from a large amount of applications. As a result, they can often clean a lot more junk than ASC can.
There is an official Version from IObit: Advanced SystemCare Free v3 Portable Edition - IObit.Com Forums

But I think you can create a portable Edition inself the Program

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Registry cleaner is a snake oil. It causes harm than good. Do you know why this specific registry key need to be clean and, is it safe to remove in the first place? Nope.
Cleaning the registry will not cause any harm, if only unneeded registry keys are deleted. It is (usually) very easy to tell if a registry key is needed or not.

The problem is, that just about every registry cleaner ever written, has issues with false positives, which means that sometimes they will want to delete needed registry keys.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
But you don't know what these registry keys do and is it safe to delete without assuming the registry cleaner software telling you it is obsolete in the first place? I don't buy registry cleaning at all.
By looking at what registry keys are going to be deleted, usually I can tell if the keys are needed or not. If I can see that a registry cleaner wants to delete any needed keys, I won't let it remove anything.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I personally dont use BleachBit anymore because I deleted any Files and the System was slow so... I dont use it anymore XD

Maybe because you deleted system cache, etc. and cache needs to rebuild. When using BleachBit if one doesn't know what a feature is for, than best not to check that. BB works great for people who know their own limitations/skill level. The built-in CeanManager is great for this type of cleaning. I use both of them. I can hear my in mind more experienced users who advise using as many MS built-in features before resorting to/relying only on 3rd party softs.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
By looking at what registry keys are going to be deleted, usually I can tell if the keys are needed or not. If I can see that a registry cleaner wants to delete any needed keys, I won't let it remove anything.

Unfortunately, not everyone knows what these registry keys do , and most of them assumed it is obsolete because this registry cleaner says so. Some of them might related to Windows functions and features or even your browser stuff. By removing those registry keys with a big " ? " on your head is a big no no for me. I learned my lesson from Advanced Systemcare in the past.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.