What's best between W10 and W8.1 in terms of data collection/telematry?

Thread author
Windows 10 is cool, it has the start meny, etc but the ammount of data they collect is to much. Is windows 8 any better? I know they started collecting data but do they collect as much as w10?

Reactions: oldschool

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
much much less, trust me
I used comodo firewall to block windows' processes to send data to MS. Exact same settings in both windows versions
W10 (from 1603-1803): >1000 blocked messages within 5 hours
W8.1 (9600): less than 100 within 1 week
W10 v1511: much fewer than v1603, more than w8.1

W8.1 feels twice more responsive than w10 on my old laptop with 5400rpm HDD. W10 v1511 is a lot more responsive and more stable than the later versions
w10 is too busy sending data to MS => slower

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Windows 10 is cool, it has the start meny, etc but the ammount of data they collect is to much. Is windows 8 any better? I know they started collecting data but do they collect as much as w10?
Look at it this way. On Windows 10 you can, at least, see what's being sent and change level of telemetry. In Windows 7 and Windows 8, there are no such options so Windows could sent full telemetry because that's default option in Windows 10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.