Not open for further replies.

I3rYcE

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
Continue reading below for an overview of the new and improved features.
  • Referral program—The Referral program allows users to recommend ESET products to friends and family.
  • Security Report—The Security Report provides users with real-time statistics about how your ESET home product keeps you protected.
  • UEFI Scanner—Proactive scanning that runs in the background and only notifies you if a problem is detected.
  • License Manager—New feature added to my.eset.com that allows you to view and manage your licenses and connected devices.
System Requirements
Version 12 has native support of 64-bit code and is compatible with Windows 10 and the new Windows security features.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 10
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7
  • Microsoft® Windows® Vista
  • Microsoft® Windows® Home Server 2011 64-bit
Referral Program
The Referral program is a new feature in version 12 home products that allows users to share ESET products with friends and family. Trial users who share referral links with friends and family will receive a trial license extension for each referral link that is used to download the product by their friend or family member. Users who receive the referral links can download ESET home products with an extended license duration. For North American ESET customers, the license extension received is for 30 days. New trial users will be able to use the product for free for 60 days.
For more information, see the Online Help topic Referring ESET product to a friend.
KB7045_v12_ReferYourFriend.png

Security Report
The Security Report provides comprehensive statistics of the security categories ESET uses to keep you protected.
KB7045_v12_SecurityReport.png

Security Report also displays real-time global virus information using a map of the world. You can activate the following security features from Security report to strengthen your protection:
  • Password Manager
  • Secure Data
  • Parental Control
  • Anti-Theft

KB7045_v12_SecurityReportworldmap.png

For more information about Security Report, see the Online Help topic Security Report.
UEFI Scanner
The UEFI Scanner runs in the background and only notifies you if a problem is detected.
The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. Similar to BIOS, it runs during device start-up when a device is restarted or turned-on.
The ESET UEFI Scanner adds an additional protection layer against UEFI bootkits by scanning for malware in firmware.
For more information about UEFI, see the WeLiveSecurity.com post Malware in firmware: how to exploit a false sense of security.
v11_uefi_detection_EIS1.png

ESET License Manager

View the status of your licenses and connected devices with the ability to manage user devices, license activation and deactivation (transfer licenses to new devices), license sharing and renewals.
For instructions on how to use ESET License Manager, see the article How to use ESET License Manager.
v11_license_manager1.png

E

Eddie Morra

I'm pretty sure they've had a UEFI scanner for a long time now.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing because newer fancy features aren't required to protect you - what they offer is already more than sufficient - but it doesn't seem like a huge update.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
It's been years since Eset hasn't innovated, outdated interface, never updated, are becoming Avira, although Avira lately is changing some things

Reactions: Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
worst update ever lol
Referral program? Really? I hope that doesn't mean they'll start spamming for new users. What i really liked about ESET was that their software didn't have any crap. Pure security program and nothing else.
You do realise it has nothing to do with the Security of ESET products..? It's more as an incentive to spread their software, and ability to extend your license by up to 5 months for FREE. Win-Win.

Spamming? Not ESET.
Only the end users will do that (ie. yourself, ESET userbase). The smart ones will notice the personalised URL. Considering your view on this, I hope that your friends are 'smart ones', so you don't get any FREE months.

Complainers can do 1 of 2 actions:
Disable automatic program updates, then moan about not receiving program updates.
Or
1540328945379.png

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I'm the smart one, so i won't spam/force my friends/family to install ESET just so i can extend my license for FIVE freaking months.

Reactions: Nevi

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
worst update ever lol
Referral program? Really? I hope that doesn't mean they'll start spamming for new users. What i really liked about ESET was that their software didn't have any crap. Pure security program and nothing else.
Emsisoft is doing the same since many years !
Do you think thay are also doing "spamming"?
I think it is very interesting for user and you are absolutly free to send a link or not!

E

Eddie Morra

Which are the other vendors you would trust ?
I am personally a fan of Symantec (mainly due to SEP/SEPC). I think that AppGuard is good and I have nothing against Fortinet (e.g. FortiClient offers some nice features for free and they are good on privacy).

If I was going for an automatic/semi-manual then Symantec, ESET or Fortinet. If I was going for default-deny, then some Windows configuration changes and AppLocker or AppGuard.

I'm usually quite indecisive though, so I don't really know - my opinion can change in a second from something really small because I am pretty difficult and fussy, hence why the above list ended quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eddie Morra

Hi I would like to try Eset av 12 ,just wondering for only performance which is lighter Eset av or Norton av ? Thks
ESET and Norton are both good on performance; the performance will differ between environments with different specifications and configurations/s.

You should use the free trial of one of them at a time to conclude which one works best for you personally (e.g. your own needs, system impact/lightweight feeling, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.