Battle What's the best antivirus to use with Comodo Firewall?

minegroasprilla

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 21, 2014
Hi.
I've used Comodo Firewall for years and I like it.
So, I need to know What's the best antivirus to use with Comodo Firewall?.
(Compatible, strong protection and different to Windows Defender).

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Avast gets the highest praise. Thing with avast is you can totally configure the installation and opt out of any of the 15 or so modules of the program. This maybe is why some like it so much with Comodo FW. Also, it doesn't have a firewall itself like some of the others do and that unnecessary space usage.

I use 360 Total Security. I think it's a good program to keep an eye on, and I am interested to see where Qihoo decides to go next. Pretty sure there will be revenue generating modules in there somewhere to go with the free, but for now it's still only the free version.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Preferably an AV with good signatures as its only role will be to provide signature detection of malware (possibly behavioural detection too in the highly unlikely event that malware evades the sandbox). The better the signatures the less often Comodo's sandbox has to come into play. It really doesn't matter which AV you choose though.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I have tried many combos with CFW,
CFW + Avast = System Freeze for 5-10 minutes on threat detection but it runs really light
CFW + Panda = Local Account corrupt, unable to enter windows after reboot, I used USB windows intaller with system restore to fix it
CFW + Avira = Works like a charm (Avira's firewall module disabled)
CFW + Microsoft Security Essential = Works like a charm, it runs really light
CFW + Bitdefender free = Heavy as hell (Install BD first then CFW)
now I use CIS because I found that Comodo AV detection is better than the free AVs above, those results can be different by your own experience, try it

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe you don't need one.. If Comodo Firewall has worked flawlessly all these years, do you really need an Antivirus?

An alternate, but not a replacement, would be a browser extension that blocks malicious sites, ads and trackers, because you'd be more susceptible to Scams, Spam, Phishing and Social-Engineering attempts than inadvertently running malware.

Final words... If not already, isolate your browser and downloads folder.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
An alternate, but not a replacement, would be a browser extension that blocks malicious sites, ads and trackers, because you'd be more susceptible to Scams, Spam, Phishing and Social-Engineering attempts than inadvertently running malware.

Final words... If not already, isolate your browser and downloads folder.

couple questions for @Spawn :
1) what do you mean by "isolate your browser and downloads folder" ?
2) which browser extensions do you recommend for blocking malicious sites, ads, trackers? And doesn't slow down the browsing experience too much (some slowdown is expected and is fine, but would prefer an extension that doesn't slow down browsing to a few seconds or more while its working)

---------------
OP edited their post after i suggested Windows Defender to ask for software other than windows defender :p lol

But from what i've read and seen, comodo FW using cruelsister's settings is pretty much bulletproof (probably not 100%, but then again nothing is 100%).
The only reason to run AV in addition to CFW then would be to lighten CFW's workload by using signature/definition detection by the AV. This means the AV is first line of defense by detecting malware by their definition/signature, and if the AV signature detection doesn't find any malware, then 2nd line of defense is CFW, which takes over when the application is run and protects against malware at time of execution.

So if you are looking for AV to run alongside CFW using cruelsister's settings, then look for one that has good definition/signature detection, since that's all you will care for with the AV software. (and that the AV isn't too heavy).

- Bitdefender free will be good for this IMO (install BD first, then CFW) (for me BD free was light, some users find it heavy, only way to see for yourself is to test)
- Avira's definitions are good i've read, but Avira AV itself is quite heavy and annoying (any malware found results in a full system scan every time last i used it...annoying). So 360TS using Avira engine is maybe a good compromise (But research if avira definitions used by 360TS is in sync with the avira definitions in actual avira products or not. I've read that sometimes AV engines used by other companies are not 100% up to date and in sync with the original company definitions, they lag behind by a certain time frame...)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.