Advice Request What's the best on-demand virus scanner?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Hi everyone. Actually I'm using Linux but I need to Windows to play some games. Also my brother and my sister are using my computer. - they are 8-9 years old - . I don't want to install real-time antivirus for higher performance so which offline virus scanner do you suggest? I had used Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Zemana antimalware, ClamWin, EmsiSoft, EEG.. But, I don't know which one has greater database.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
They are each good at individual things. ZAM is good at detecting hollow processes, but has too many false positives because of its cloud engines. EEK is good at detecting malicious registries. HMP has good common detection (with less false positives) and tracking cookies.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
U are using win10? when u want performance maybe u considere a realtime av. Most avs are lighter than the in build windows defender. + the protection a good av gives you is way more than defender will do anytime.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
They said that for performance reasons. But, for example the difference between running Panda and no antivirus should be extremely minimal.
To be fair, OP clearly asks "which offline virus scanner do you suggest?" Technically, even HMP and ZAM should not be mentioned in the thread.

Let's not get off-topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: TairikuOkami

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
One can never go wrong with EEK! ZAM is always good. Sometimes I get a FPs with ZAM. Therefore, be mindful - as with all tech tools!!

~Brian

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
EEK is good but thing is purely signature based(Dual engine) BD false positiveS..
PANDA CLOUD CLEANER IS GOOD, pair with Zemana/Hitman pro
I use NPE (See the summary) carefully before proceeding due to stringent policies from Symantec Cloud+Heuristics too(y)

Reactions: Nestor

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Actually I'm using Linux but I need to Windows to play some games.
If you are gonna install legit game then only 2nd opinion av will be enough for ya. But if you are gonna install something interesting(I think you do know what I'm saying), please use a real-time av during the installation & first play. trust me or not, there are several malwares which can't be detected by static scanning. So,it's better safe than sorry.

Reactions: frogboy
I

illumination

But if you are gonna install something interesting(I think you do know what I'm saying)
Cracks/illegal gained software is forbidden to be discussed in this forum, via forum rules.

If you are utilizing teamspeak and other such applications gaming, you are going to want a decent realtime security. Not getting infected in the first place is the most ideal outcome you should seek. Most suites are now really light, and most come with full screen/game modes.

If you have used all those listed on demands, pick a few of them and continue to do so.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
"Dr.Web CureIt" and "Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool" - just download and run.
Emsisoft Emergency Kit has to be updated once downloaded, it takes forever.

To be fair, OP clearly asks "which offline virus scanner do you suggest?" Technically, even HMP and ZAM should not be mentioned in the thread.
Most people do not realize, that some portable scanners are online only, when they run it on a computer with internet. Like Hitman, Norton or Trend.
Then again I think, that the OP has not realized the difference, she has asked for an ondemand in the title and for an offline in the post. Easy to mix up.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Cracks/illegal gained software is forbidden to be discussed in this forum, via forum rules.

I haven't said anything specifically as I do know the rule. But my point was to convey the sense that he/she may get infected if he/she just only relies upon on-demand scanner. It's him/her call to take,anyway... He/she also doesn't want malware & that's why my suggestion was to use a realtime av scanner during installation process & first run. Nowhere, I've told him/her to use a Cracks/illegally gained software... but yea it has that undertone. but, I hope he/she does understand what to use & how to use...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.