Advice Request What's the best way to keep Windows programs up to date?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I was using Secunia’s Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and now its dead. so i need a new one ( free to use). Which one would be a good alternative to PSi? Is Sumo a good one ?
Are you guys using any thing to keep your software updated?

I

illumination

I use my head. I keep amount of applications to a minimum, and manually check for updates and only install if stable enough to do so, if i see comments/reports of more bugs/issues, i hold tight on those updates until resolved unless necessary for security. No application out there will do this for you.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
For keeping drivers updated there is IObit Driver Booster.

And Kerish Doctor has a built in app that displays your apps and shows you the latest version and lets you upgrade them.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I just tried running the portable version of PatchMyPC and got an error. Win 10 home here.

ScreenHunter_111 Jul. 21 09.18.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I normally run Appguard in lock down mode and set to allow installs when running an exe. I* just noticed I had selected protected mode which I never use which popped up the error. One thing I noticed is that it listed programs I do not have installed any longer but only two were checked for updates. LibreOffice and Adblocker for IE.

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
Try to use Patch My PC, it is a free software updater and portable that can install software patches without clicking and manual update check. I run this app about a year ago and I'm very satisfied about its' features. I also use it as a simple software uninstaller and it can be run from a flash drive and all versions of Windows. So, it's worth trying out.

Reactions: Brahman

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most updates should Automatic as long as you run the program every once in a while. Or you're really that lazy..

Apps from Microsoft Store
- Spotify
- iTunes

"Is the Microsoft Store still terrible?" (Video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVhmKVRkk0 )

Built-in Software Updaters (set to Automatic Updates)
- Steam
- Nvdia GeForce
- Office 365
- Uplay
1532267266062.png

Built-in Software Checker (but Manual Updates required)
- Geek Uninstaller
- Wise Disk Cleaner (portable)
- Rufus
1532267188664.png

Windows Updates
- Windows 10
1532267556491.png

Avoid those 3rd-party Driver Updaters app
Never Download a Driver-Updating Utility; They’re Worse Than Useless

Snickers102

Level 1
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
Patch My PC (newest version, 4.0.1.5) detected a whole lot of 19 applications, compared to KC Sumo's 244 with in-depth scan (and I have a BIG list of exclusions for KC Sumo, without that list it's over 400) Of course, many of those are not real, such as one program having multiple exes that Sumo lists all of, but I have a LOT more than just 19 programs, more like a hundred. So yeah, Patch My PC is going straight into the trash bin (uninstalled)

KC Sumo still reigns supreme, UNMATCHED power when it comes to updating EVERYTHING (and a lot more) on your pc

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I use patchmypc to update some apps. I think it's one of the best, most compatible portable programs
sumo for checking update for the entire PC, then I manually download the update, not via sumo UI
I just download Patch My Pc, deleted Kaspersky Software Updater and i must say it's a pretty solid and automated option and also portable.In fact i found a Keyboard Logitech new driver for update, which Kaspersky Software Updater didn't find it.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I use FileHippo App Manager. It's the most lightweight. I run it once a week to check. It doesn't catch all programs but most of them. Drivers are like car parts. The latest one isn't always the best. Unless there are huge security issues, just go with the original driver designed for your hardware when your device was released. That is usually the most optimized. (y)

Reactions: slash/

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
I use FileHippo App Manager. It's the most lightweight. I run it once a week to check. It doesn't catch all programs but most of them. Drivers are like car parts. The latest one isn't always the best. Unless there are huge security issues, just go with the original driver designed for your hardware when your device was released. That is usually the most optimized. (y)
I used to use FileHippo App Manager too, have you ever had issues with it? I uninstalled mine after a bunch of on-demand scanners started flagging it as malware. Probably a temporary FP, but it turned me away from it permanently.

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I used to use FileHippo App Manager too, have you ever had issues with it? I uninstalled mine after a bunch of on-demand scanners started flagging it as malware. Probably a temporary FP, but it turned me away from it permanently.
Never had issues with it. Definitely a false positive. Most likely because it opens the results in your browser so you can directly download the links to the updated .exe files. It is definitely legit. Don't recommend the beta version of the app. The original app still works great.

Reactions: slash/

Question

Level 3
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
For Windows Updates I use Windows Update xD
For Software Updates at the Moment I use PatchMyPC Portable (I used Glary Utilities a long time ago)

Reactions: Nestor

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I use patchmypc to update some apps. I think it's one of the best, most compatible portable programs
sumo for checking update for the entire PC, then I manually download the update, not via sumo UI

Thanks for using SUMo (I'm the lead dev).
We have a dedicated thread for SUMo here : Update - SUMo v5.x Changelog
Please share feedback and tell me if you need help.

SUMo keeps you in control, lead you as close as possible to the download link but YOU have the power to install something or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.