Advice Request What's the difference between SpyShelter Premium vs SpyShelter Firewall vs SpyShelter Silent?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Firewall edition is not a replacement for Windows firewall, but it works on top of it, giving you control over every network connection that processes make. This edition also gives you application execution control, which is an excellent hybrid of anti-exe and HIPS, most effective if you run the program in "Ask user" mode.
If you are looking to have proper control over what happens on your system, the Firewall edition is it.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Firewall edition is not a replacement for Windows firewall, but it works on top of it, giving you control over every network connection that processes make. This edition also gives you application execution control, which is an excellent hybrid of anti-exe and HIPS, most effective if you run the program in "Ask user" mode.
If you are looking to have proper control over what happens on your system, the Firewall edition is it.

So the firewall is a front end to the Windows firewall? And there i was thinking that someone made a true, new firewall...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So the firewall is a front end to the Windows firewall? And there i was thinking that someone made a true, new firewall...
Yes, it is a front end. SpyShelter Firewall does much more than just providing a front end for Windows Firewall, of course. But I haven't used the program recently. @ichito is in a better position to provide accurate info.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Spyshelter isn't new, it is a decade old already. But it is still the the most efficient HIPS on the market with a very well made process logger.
If you want a, serious true firewall, you will find it on corporate solutions, mot much on home ones.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Spyshelter isn't new, it is a decade old already. But it is still the the most efficient HIPS on the market with a very well made process logger.
If you want a, serious true firewall, you will find it on corporate solutions, mot much on home ones.

I know Spyshelter, i just didn't follow up on it ever since they stopped the free version. That free version didn't have the firewall available. I don't need a serious firewall, i don't run a corporation, i have a router and Tinywall and i am sure hackers that will pass those won't waste their time with me, but i always liked 3rd party software firewalls. Thanks.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Anyway, since win7, windows firewall didn't changed much and is quite decent.
About Tinywall, I tested the lasted v3 betas, supposed to be a full-fledged one unlike v2 but it had to many issue to my liking.
So I stay with naked Windows Firewall where I create my own rules manually.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I know Spyshelter, i just didn't follow up on it ever since they stopped the free version. That free version didn't have the firewall available. I don't need a serious firewall, i don't run a corporation, i have a router and Tinywall and i am sure hackers that will pass those won't waste their time with me, but i always liked 3rd party software firewalls. Thanks.
New -12.0 - free version is featured with HIPS, fierwall module and screen protection (action #35)...all action are listed on creenshot below
According to firewall feature - yes, we can call SS's firewall as front end of SFW but not so exactly because SS is using its own and independent low-level driver called SpyShelterWFP.sys. It allows to manage network rules basing on WFP filters but in own another way - rules of System FW are not imported to SSFW and vice versa so we can disable that first one.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
It allows to manage network rules basing on WFP filters but in own another way - rules of System FW are not imported to SSFW and vice versa so we can disable that first one.
If the user does not disable the system firewall, then during an outgoing connection of any program, the rules of which firewall will take precedence - the Windows firewall or SpyShelter firewall?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
It looks that SpyShelter's rules are over the rules of System FW but the real network behaviour of installed/working processes depends on:
- chosen protection level and by this way on automaticaly allowed action
- what action we want/need to allow automaticaly (list of monitored action)
- what we allow in Rules Tab
As I remember there is a lot of whitelisted apps and vendors on builtin list in SpyShelter so perhaps every of them could make in/out connection so it's better to have some controll in this matter. Some useful info you can find in this post

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
It looks that SpyShelter's rules are over the rules of System FW
Is it verified? For example, simplewall firewall, like SpyShelter, uses the Windows Filtering Platform to filter traffic, and the instructions for simplewall read “Simplewall works through WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) capabilities. The simplewall firewall does not change the configuration of the Windows firewall, but the Windows firewall filters have more high priority and processed first. " Although the mechanism of SpyShelter may somehow be implemented differently. Therefore, I asked about the priority: was the Windows firewall and the SpyShelter firewall checked, which of them had priority in connection processing? Just using the Windows firewall you can control some connections that cannot be controlled in the SpyShelter firewall, for example, the thin control svchost.exe. or control of Windows services.
For example, in the logs, I see that the Windows firewall is blocking the outgoing connection for a specific svchost.exe process, or for the Windows service, which I blocked access to the Internet, but in the spyshelter firewall logs I see that this particular svchost.exe process was allowed to connect to or that the service blocked in the Windows firewall received automatic permission to access the Internet in the spyshelter firewall logs. So did this svchost.exe or a service get access to the Internet or not? Depends on which firewall has priority. That's interesting, who has priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No...I haven't checked it personaly. SS is not (in its idea) to block/close/hide ports....it's designed to controll apps/processes behaviour according to predefinied and manualy created network rules. According to such description
and help file you can create your own granular application rules and modyfi/create your own firewall zones.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.