What's your choice for Malware/Ad/Tracking blocking DNS?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I've been using OpenDNS but their ad blocker is kind of light. Norton DNS is also good for Malware blocking but they don't seem to update fast enough.
So any other choices?
I would really love an options that has a good Ad, Tracking and Malware blocking DNS.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
For adblocking Alternate DNS - Ad Blocking DNS Server but I don't trust it (I use it only on mobile)
I use Yandex.DNS it has antimalware with sophos signatures, botnet protection, parental control and safesearch (and is foreign of USA I don't trust NSA)

WildByDesign

Level 1
Verified
Jan 24, 2016
I've been using OpenDNS but their ad blocker is kind of light. Norton DNS is also good for Malware blocking but they don't seem to update fast enough.
So any other choices?
I would really love an options that has a good Ad, Tracking and Malware blocking DNS.
I can't speak as much for DNS server options, but I would assume that any that contain decent advertisement/tracking server coverage would likely be a paid service. The free DNS servers don't go too far into that territory.

One option would be to run your own DNS server locally and in that case, you could combine all of the best blocking server lists for advertisement, tracking, malware, etc. You could do this locally with BIND DNS with great benefits in performance as well. Or another option would be using a router capable of flashing OpenWrt on it and using the DNS server on the router to filter based on many great blocking lists available online.

I also wish that we had some better DNS options available these days. But I've always decided to roll my own, in the end.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.