WhatsApp co-founder urges users to delete their Facebook accounts — again

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton appeared as a speaker at a class at Stanford University earlier this week, where he spoke about the decision to sell the company to Facebook, and urged students to delete their Facebook accounts.

According to Buzzfeed News, Acton spoke during an undergraduate course called Computer Science 181 alongside another former Facebook employee, Ellora Israni, founder of She++. During the class, Acton spoke about why he sold Whatsapp to Facebook in the first place, and why he left, and criticized the drive to prioritize monetization over user privacy.

During his talk, he noted that major social media companies like Apple and Google have struggled to moderate their content. “These companies are not equipped to make these decisions,” he said. “And we give them the power. That’s the bad part. We buy their products. We sign up for these websites. Delete Facebook, right?”

Acton has been a vocal critic of Facebook since leaving the company in 2017 over issues with Facebook’s desire to monetize its services. This also isn’t the first time that he’s called for peopel to delete their accounts: he said the same thing last year, following the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Even if its deleted the info that has already been provided will not get deleted.
Yes, its going to prevent further damage.

• Wow
Reactions: alakazam

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
But if I delete my Facebook account, how will I keep in touch with random acquaintances that I can't meet in real life?

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Because Facebook is & has always been a CIA spying tool.

Created by DARPA

Zuckerberg has absolutely nothing to do with it, I doubt he can even code.

Research "Lifelog"

..... So is Google.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Screenshot_20190317-183600__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-183600__01.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Zuckerberg has a lot to do with it, he gets to pocket a large sum of money. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.