When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your laptop/pc?

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this (if not, please move it where it belongs; thanks).

Do you clean/dust your electronics, specially the dust suckers like laptops and PCs? If yes, how often and what do you use?

I'm not selling anything obviously, i clean my stuff every 6 months (good enough for me) with this:
MetroVac Europe DataVac® ESD Safe Electric Duster® ED-500ESD

Awesome little dusting gadget.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
One piece of very important advice: when using compressed air to blow the dust out of your electronics, always block the fans with something, prevent them to move, otherwise you can risk to unbalance the fan or even break it. With this in mind, you'll be (most of the times) safe.

The other thing to watch out for is the condense. Blowers will chill the air which produces humidity. Never dust your electronics attached to a PSU or battery. Most of the canned air tubes have this effect, so watch out, test it first on glass.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My father takes laptop to gas station and cleans it with the vacuum cleaner, air sucking is so strong, that it could even damage laptop parts inside, he never listens to me though.. :eek::D
rofl I have done this with this big azz Cooler Master HAF case, I lugged it to the car and took it to the car wash and
vacuumed it out :p
+1 for Dad's

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Dust will accumulate on anything left out in the room, which includes furniture and flooring.

Regularly clean laptop to keep it clear from dust, and stored in an enclosed space when not in use.

@Amelith Nargothrond I have edited Poll and all votes are reset.
Well, I have cooling pad for laptop and when I see dust on it and on bottom of laptop, I clean it. However, I have never opened laptop and I rather leave that to professionals. I do open and clean desktop PCs because they are easier to maintain than laptops. :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Well, I have cooling pad for laptop and when I see dust on it and on bottom of laptop, I clean it. However, I have never opened laptop and I rather leave that to professionals. I do open and clean desktop PCs because they are easier to maintain than laptops. :)

I found that a certain combination of cooling pads / laptop fans spinning in a certain direction can have catastrophic effects.
I'm talking about those pads that blow the air towards the laptop and the laptop has fans on the bottom that takes air inside the laptop. This combination accumulates more dust than just the laptop without the pad. So instead of helping, the cooling pad will fill the inside of the laptop with more dust in a much shorter time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.