When you hear "firewall"...what have you in your mind?

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
This thread is perhaps rather like our memories but I think both young and old users could answer my question :giggle:

If you think "firewall"...nice, old, effective, secure, strong, useful...whatever...what have you in your mind?...in your memories? No matter when and no mattter in what system - name 3 examples and maybe why such ones? :unsure:
My examples
- Kerio Personal Firewall...still from years on my XP as the rock solid protection connected with olds-chool (simple and clear) interface
- Filseclab Personal Firewall PE...as the "sweet candy" among firewalls with a lot of useful option and features
- Online Armor ...because it just was the best and because of Emu :love:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Private Firewall - free and powerful, contained HIPS, so it could catch child processes trying to connect as well.
Outpost Firewall - easy to setup and use, until they included anti-spyware and literally destroyed it in the process.
Sphinx Firewall Control - zero performance impact, once setup, you can get rid of GUI, then it uses 10-20 MB RAM.

I miss good old firewalls. These days firewalls are basically just allow/block or there is the overcomplicated Comodo.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
800px-Agnitum.jpg

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
I too ran Sygate Personal Firewall as my first, loved how well it logged and preformed. Second was Private Firewall for how lite it was and its HIPS, and third am currently running Look'n'Stop Firewall with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Sad to say but Linux is calling next year. Those were the days...

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
First thing that came in my mind was ZoneAlarm as that is my first firewall program, then Comodo which is my next firewall and Comodo has given me a headstart on dealing with hardware firewall (SonicWall).

Comodo firewall was way too much effort to block an outgoing and incoming connection, I am glad I learned it as it make dealing with all other firewall so much easier, Love and Hate relationship with comodo =D then when comodo went full security suite, it was all HATE, kind like when Emsisoft drop their simple firewall..........Done ranting.....

Reactions: ichito and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.