When you hear "firewall"...what have you in your mind?

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
My first firewall was Sygate Personal Firewall, a long time ago in a world far far away..

My favorites are Online armor, Outpost and Private firewall.

The good old days:
File:OnlineArmor4.png

Too bad Emsisoft terminated the development.
For memories...last free OA from Australia...not from Austria :)
190529202538_1.jpg

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Associations arise only with Comodo Firewall and Windows Firewall. Comodo Firewall is more suitable for advanced users who like to configure everything manually and monitor each network connection. Although it can be configured to not interfere too much, there are whole manuals for tuning to work in automatic mode. And Windows Firewall is suitable for everyone, especially with the WFC add-in. A simpler option. For some reason, only these two programs come to mind :rolleyes:

Reactions: oldschool

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Something that allows me to block (temporarily or permanently) selected software or features. I tried several and ended up with the free version of Sphinxsoft Firewall Control.

Reactions: oldschool

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I see many people liked Sygate .
If anyone wants to use it on windows 10 2004 .
You can get SEP from Unlimited Giveaway - Symantec Endpoint Unmanaged without time limit and use the firewall installation config.
It's kinda like sygate Enterprise on steroids since it has Symantec / Broadcom DeepSight intelligence signature IPS updates .
It can even stop a lot of pishing and drive by downloads thanks to DeepSight.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Associations arise only with Comodo Firewall and Windows Firewall. Comodo Firewall is more suitable for advanced users who like to configure everything manually and monitor each network connection. Although it can be configured to not interfere too much, there are whole manuals for tuning to work in automatic mode. And Windows Firewall is suitable for everyone, especially with the WFC add-in. A simpler option. For some reason, only these two programs come to mind :rolleyes:
Comodo on proactive mode is indeed pretty strong.
It can block network activity of worms pretty well on cruel sister tests .
Windows Defender on the other hand while it doesn't increase the attack surface , it's still only a very basic firewall .

But usually people should invest in gateway security if possible .
Even using a 8 dollar pi alternative with some IPS like snort .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.