Where can I get malware packs?

P

PEllis

Thread author
VirusSign haven't responded to my email. Is there another place I can get malware packs? I want to start testing security products for myself.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
VirusSign haven't responded to my email. Is there another place I can get malware packs? I want to start testing security products for myself.
It depends on how long ago you dropped the application/email to Virussign, it may take a few days for them to get back to you. One thing you need to understand, is that you will need the knowledge of converting the file extension and even batch converting them as they come with the .vir extension. The samples are not all fresh in a pack, you may get lucky and find 2% of them being newer, but VS packs are good for analysis type work and testing dynamically a product.

Not knowing you or your knowledge and or even uses, i can not recommend places for you to find malware. I can how ever explain that if you participate a little more here at MT and get over 100 posts, you will have access to the sample packs afforded by MT's awesome malware hunters.

H

hjlbx

Thread author

Like @Lucent Warrior states, it's kinda an unstated policy not to provide unknown users with malware download sources. It's nothing personal, it is just that it is difficult to gage a user's experience and knowledge. No member here with any kind of personal ethics wants to be connected in any way to someone playing with malware and then having their bank account wiped out.

VirusSign takes up to 2 weeks or more to respond to a new account access to malware request. They do not blindly grant access.

The malware samples might be old (meaning it is pointless to test them with an active signature-detection AV on a system because almost everything will get detected), but the classification range of samples is the best that I have seen.

VirusSign samples are great for testing HIPS, anti-executable, software restriction policy, virtualization, etc = everything but signature detection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.