Where & How Can I Obtain CLEAN W8.1 ISO for 8.1 OEM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a clean W8.1 ISO so that I can re-install Windows on a Toshiba W8.1 OEM?

The OEM version is causing a host of issues on my system.

This is ridiculous ... Microsoft states I have to purchase a retail copy as they do not provide an ISO for use with an OEM key.

Toshiba won't do it either as it violates their contractual agreements with its crapware vendors.

For real, for real !!! ????

WTF ...

I am really thinking hard about migrating to Linux ... but for now I need Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
For retail version you have more information in this thread: http://malwaretips.com/threads/here...l-preview-isos-directly-from-microsoft.42853/, but Microsoft Software Recovery only accepts retail keys.
Here is some download links for Windows 8.1 with Latest ESDs (Original From Windows Store)
ESD stands for Electronic Software Download, and for Windows, it means an Encrypted and Highly Compressed WIM file.

SHA1: e917848838d7d8111c93dd7b1d78ae8d047b9bcf

http://vg.dl.ws.microsoft.com/dl/co..._e917848838d7d8111c93dd7b1d78ae8d047b9bcf.esd
(Core) x64

Download the decryption package, and Extract its contents to a folder with simple path (example: C:\ESD).
File: esd-decrypter-wimlib-3.7z
MD5: f3134e591ff1609c419a99b9304167fa
SHA1: bfc07b5a0a4cefd3db9a12d2914b8beac5f75f82
Download link: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/SZ5QVIHT/esd-decrypter-wimlib-3.7z_links
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.03.10_08h29m28s_001_Chrome Legacy Window.png
Source: nsaneforums

Last edited:

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Damn, Why does MS do this sort of things?

You're blaming the wrong company.
Microsoft is not doing this.

The OEM vendors are doing this.

For years and years Microsoft has been advocating OEM vendors to stop disabling, removing and crippling parts of the OS and to stop preinstalling all that bloatware the OEM vendors include in the factory image they throw at the pcs.

The OEM vendors has not been willing to listen.
They make more profit on selling options to have software included in the factory image, then they do on selling the pcs to the end user.
Therefore the OEM vendors do this.

Don't be fooled into believing that the OEM vendors care about their product running smooth or the end user having a good experience.
They only look at where to make the most profit.

As a consequence, Microsoft has for quite some time been offering Microsoft Signature Edition pcs in the Microsoft store.
That is specific models from OEM vendors that has never seen any of the OEM tampering or OEM bloatware.
Instead they are delivered with OS just like Microsoft intended it to work, drivers and nothing more.

Another alternative are the Surface Pro series. They are also directly from Microsoft without tampering or bloatware.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
You're blaming the wrong company.
Microsoft is not doing this.

The OEM vendors are doing this.

I know Microsoft is not the cause of the bloatware. However, my view is this ... when I purchased the PC I also purchased a Windows license and expect to be able to obtain a clean ISO.

Now Microsoft says "No, that is not the case...you purchased only the OEM version. If you want a clean ISO then you have to purchase it !

Furthermore, Microsoft charges an extra $99 for their Signature Series PCs - which is absolute BS - and which is just as bad, if not worse than, the OEMs crapware bundling habits.

In my estimation both Microsoft and the OEMs are wrong.

I am just the user caught in the middle.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
I know Microsoft is not the cause of the bloatware. However, my view is this ... when I purchased the PC I also purchased a Windows license and expect to be able to obtain a clean ISO.

Now Microsoft says "No, that is not the case...you purchased only the OEM version. If you want a clean ISO then you have to purchase it !

Furthermore, Microsoft charges an extra $99 for their Signature Series PCs - which is absolute BS - and which is just as bad, if not worse than, the OEMs crapware bundling habits.

In my estimation both Microsoft and the OEMs are wrong.

I am just the user caught in the middle.

How can you possible blame Microsoft ??
The OS sold to the OEM vendors are fully functional and not tampered with in any way.

The OEM vendor then decides to mess with it and produce the nightmare of a system you now have in front of you.

I fully understand your anger.

I'm just saying - point your anger at the company responsible for the mess. And that is the OEM vendor.

The only thing that these OEM vendors care about are their profit, and the only thing that can change things for the better are if enough people raise their voice and demand clean systems in the future.
And until this happens, then buy where you can actually get clean systems without bloatware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.