Battle Which Anti Malware (free edition) is good as a secondary protection?

Compare list
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
SUPERAntiSpyware
Spybot
SpywareBlaster

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Just asking to clarify, you mean like a 2nd security software running as real-time protection or just as on-demand scanner?

WiseVector StopX (free version) can be even a secondary protection running in real-time same like your main AV.
On demand scanner... or if Realtime protection that's better..

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Of the 4 programs you list I would choose Malwarebytes easily for real time protection, the other 3 I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. I do not think they are very effective.
On demand I would choose Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool or Emsisoft Emergency Kit, you could also use Malwarebytes for this.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Generally speaking the "best" on-demand scanners considered are Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and Norton Power Eraser (High False Positives!).
Wisevector is very lightweight with strong protection according to other forum members, and compatible with many other antiviruses.
Thanks, but currently it's offering free, if it's chargeable then??

Reactions: show-Zi

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Of the 4 programs you list I would choose Malwarebytes easily for real time protection, the other 3 I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. I do not think they are very effective.
On demand I would choose Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool or Emsisoft Emergency Kit, you could also use Malwarebytes for this.
Malwarebytes is heavier on system resources alongside another antivirus

Reactions: show-Zi

likeastar20

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Just asking to clarify, you mean like a 2nd security software running as real-time protection or just as on-demand scanner?

WiseVector StopX (free version) can be even a secondary protection running in real-time same like your main AV.
Do you disable anything in WVSX(ex. firewall) if you run it with another AV?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you choose from the software with names in the list, it is a Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner. I remember that SpywareBlaster was just software that wrote suspicious sites to host files. However, the effect is questionable because there are not many updates.
My impression is that software other than Malwarebytes is a legacy of IE's heyday. Add-ons and many security software now have similar functionality.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Antimalware 2.74.2.150 & Malwarebytes are the better ones out there for on-demand scan and clean. The first 2 are portable so I prefer them more.

Hitman Pro beats them all but the free version is limited to scanning (good for double checking in case you miss something). It's portable too.

Norton Power Eraser for a highly infected system.

SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot & SpywareBlaster are goodies of the past. I don't think they are effective these days.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.