- because many people swore it is the best :666:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Which Antivirus do you Hate

Has to be ClamAV and PCTools, for the reason is that when I gave them a test drive they were hopeless in everything.

Plus it's Trend Micro, not TrenMicro ;)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Same here. I hate Kaspersky the most.
Heavy
Updates take eternity to complete
Many a times the stupid updates fail
The server gives very slow speed.
Rest it is good.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

I Hate Kaspersky
Same Reason The Umbra said

AVG
When i am not much knowlegde about Computer i use AVG i had more than 1000 Viruses.

Edited:
BitDefender
Very Heavy, Slow down the PC

Reactions: Logethica

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

McLovin said:
Has to be ClamAV and PCTools, for the reason is that when I gave them a test drive they were hopeless in everything.

Plus it's Trend Micro, not TrenMicro ;)

Sorry for That mistake. & no problem just tell which one you hate even if it is in the list or not.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

MrExplorer said:
Sorry for That mistake. & no problem just tell which one you hate even if it is in the list or not.

I just did, :s

McLovin said:

bug_in_amber

Jan 21, 2013

AVG pretends to be excelent software, but it's dangerous to use it. First at all slowing down the system. Second, it's weak at malware detection. Third, many false positives. And... ugly interface :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Comodo- false positives it is really not a true antivirus- more of an HIPS, since its power comes from D+ which is not user friendly, bugs.

Kaspersky- a monster of resource usage, false positives, over-priced.

Norton- false positives and over-priced, hard to add exclusions.

BitDefender- full of bugs, false positives and over-priced.

Thanks.:D

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

^^^^
Yes Comodo has many false Postivies.

Kaspersky - It has very less price in my country. (but very hard to use)

Norton: Very good in terms of Protection as i know but slowdown the pc

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

bug_in_amber said:
AVG pretends to be excelent software, but it's dangerous to use it. First at all slowing down the system. Second, it's weak at malware detection. Third, many false positives. And... ugly interface :D

Oh Great there in one who thinks like me.

manmur

Level 1
Verified
Jan 23, 2013

Norton: pc slow down

Microsoft: Not very effective

AVG: detection rates ware low

McAfee: BSOD, pc slow down

P

Plexx

MrExplorer said:
AVG
When i am not much knowlegde about Computer i use AVG i had more than 1000 Viruses.

The above statement is True for any solution, not just AVG...

bug_in_amber said:

Detection is not everything. They have a decent zero day protection. For the day to day normal user, AVG is just fine in terms of protection. FP's have lowered since version 2012.

Hate is a strong word.

Perhaps Dislike fits better.

Dislike all of them for different reasons, ranging from amount of processes/lightness/protection modules/boot-shutdown slowdowns/scan speed etc.

Considering no solution is perfect and any listed will be lacking in some areas while on other areas it will be its strong point, as well as taking into consideration each solution will have a different impact in different systems, it will boil down to personal opinion, but some core mechanics can still be looked at.

If we are to take UI/Looks into consideration, then it will always be a personal opinion where there is no right or wrong answer.

Note: despite disliking them, does not mean I do not use them :)

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Fail moderation by me.. Here is what Payback wrote:

Payback said:
Most : Microsoft (sucks for protection,as Windows Vista,XP,nut sure about seven since I have not installed MSE on my win seven machine)

Moderate (moderate hate) : Kaspersky,reason : It nearly screwed my machine up,cause of its DARN updates...
MrExplorer said:
I Hate Kaspersky
Same Reason The Umbra said

AVG

Norton
Very Heavy, Slow down the PC

Sorry,sir,but you still use 2001 version of Norton? the current,2013 version...is so frecking light...lighter than Eset,not sure about the RAM,though. I use Eset,and I remember my PC having better performance with NIS 2012 installed ,I uninstalled it cause I lost license after re-formatting my system.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Have some of you that bashed Norton for being heavy even used it lately or even used it at all?
The last few years its really been light, even on old systems.

As for the poll:
Out of all the options, I choose MSE and AVG.

MSE - Some bugs, Slow removal, slow scans, Terrible detection rate, No prevention.
AVG - Never trusted it, Its a hit or miss for me.

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Have some of you that bashed Norton for being heavy even used it lately or even used it at all?
The last few years its really been light, even on old systems.

As for the poll:
Out of all the options, I choose MSE and AVG.

MSE - Some bugs, Slow removal, slow scans, Terrible detection rate, No prevention.
AVG - Never trusted it, Its a hit or miss for me.

Unfortunately it is a known trend.

Same trend was visible and still is when it comes to AVG products. The concept of bad image that AVG had before 2012 version release.

AVG being Hit or Miss I agree but the carried trend of AVG opinions I dont'.

MSE having no prevention and slow scan speed (only talking about version that works up to Windows 7 as I have not extensively used the Windows 8 version): Agreed.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
MSE having no prevention and slow scan speed (only talking about version that works up to Windows 7 as I have not extensively used the Windows 8 version): Agreed.
I actually tried the Win8 Defender and compared it to Win7/Vista MSE.
I did notice a difference, I actually found the detection rate to be better and some of the bugs such as the removal freezing are not existent. However the No prevention still applies. So I have no idea what Microsoft did, but hope to find a version update to MSE soon.

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
I did notice a difference, I actually found the detection rate to be better and some of the bugs such as the removal freezing are not existent. However the No prevention still applies. So I have no idea what Microsoft did, but hope to find a version update to MSE soon.

I suppose that until MSE includes some protection modules, one could use an additional solution that would include HIPS or BB to provide that extra protection.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
3link9 said:

I suppose that until MSE includes some protection modules, one could use an additional solution that would include HIPS or BB to provide that extra protection.

Yeah, All you need is at least a BB, Sandbox, and Web Protection if not using IE.
However the regular user wont bother.
Now just to add before you bash me and saying the regular user would rarely get infected with MSE. I could count so many regular users in the malware removal forum with those using MSE with infections such as them opening email attachments. (Look back in December, You will see a lot of those) Also, I can give you my Cousin's number so he can tell you all the infections he had with MSE (Not really, but making a point)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.