Advice Request Which Antivirus Pogram Would You Say Is Underated

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.S.K

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2016
There are many antivirus which may not perform well in avtest.org and avcomparatives tests but users may give positive response with there own experience can you share those information.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Webroot. It has some aggressive settings and process control options.
Webroot seems to not submit it's product for testing on any of these 2 labs. Anyways, it is a wonderful antivirus. It was developed to be complementary but does quite better!

Av-test.org provides a 6-point rating besides the detailed percentages inside) and almost all good antivirus rate a 5.5 or 6.
I wouldn't go for a mindspin in case of Av-comparatives.org. It represents a more intuitive comparision among the products and the results seen to continuously vary with time and category (proactive/file detection/etc).
Not to say that all of those tests depict the absolute truth. Effectiveness change with configuration, time and the malware evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Wouldn't trust a AV that got sub par scores in Av tests. Using AV's that don't test well is bad.

Sure you can argue with Av tests methods but the end results are almost the same across the board.

You want a Av with a large reputation service. More samples = more detection's.

I only trust a few Av companies. Kaspersky, Norton, F-Secure, Emsosift, Bitdefender, Avira, Avast.

The rest are not worth my time.

Reactions: A.S.K
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Wouldn't trust a AV that got sub par scores in Av tests. Using AV's that don't test well is bad.

Sure you can argue with Av tests methods but the end results are almost the same across the board.

You want a Av with a large reputation service. More samples = more detection's.

I only trust a few Av companies. Kaspersky, Norton, F-Secure, Emsosift, Bitdefender, Avira, Avast.

The rest are not worth my time.
Hold your horses there. You only trust those 7 AVs? There are lots of good AV companies & the majority of the ones that exist are good quality & deserve more respect - 360 Total Security, MalwareBytes V3, ESET, Sophos, etc are all good AVs which you don't trust? I would trust ESET & MalwareBytes over Norton, Avira & F-Secure.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I forgot Eset and Hitman Pro/Surfright (Sophos now) on that list. And maybe Trend Micro. I trust them.

The rest are either poor detection or use the same AV engine as the ones I listed.

Reactions: A.S.K and Parsh

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I consider F-Secure very underrated. No slowdowns, very quiet, no constant reminders that it's there and doing its job.

Unfortunately, also few buttons which certainly makes it less attractive to AV geeks, leading to almost no coverage in security-related online communities.

Reactions: Tadas247 and A.S.K

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I think the latest version of Trend is really good, Eset too but I've been running Panda Anti-Virus Pro for some months along with other protection & most impressed with it - All singing, all dancing AV's with many add-ons are not my cup of tea. (if you like tea that is)

I was a fan of Webroot for quite some time but the amount of space monitoring took up at times was staggering, whether that's changed in the last few months I don't know but slow whitelisting was my main issue.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
AVG is very underrated : awsome detection ratios , hated by millions! :D

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Twister Antivirus, a product which contains strong heuristics, mechanistic behavior detection and even signatures. (Definitely underrated, but it works the job very well)

Although it kills on False positive rate based on numerous test.

Link to Twister Antivirus by Filseclab
Seems great. A Chinese product I guess. So you've tested this or read a review about it?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows Defender in Windows 10.
Of course the strength of Windows 10 security relies on all of it's parts,UAC,Windows Firewall & SmartScreen along with Windows Defender.
Then again the same could be said for any other AV running on Windows as UAC,Windows Firewall & Smartscreen add to the security.
Underated and often bashed it has become much better in Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.