Which AntiVirus Rescue Disk for W 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobi

Thread author
Feb 24, 2015
Good morning to everybody.
I'm a new entry and my English is poor. I'm sorry for that.
I've tried a lot of AV rescue disk for my children's notebook with W 8.1 installed.
One is Asus K55VD and the second is Acer E1-570G.
I've tried Avira Rescue System, Comodo Rescue Disk, Kaspersky rescue disk, Dr Web Live Disk, but none of them runs good. Most of them crash before scanning the computer. Note that I've disabled secure boot in both notebook.
Instead, under my desktop pc with W7 all of them work normally.
First question: does it exist at least one AV live cd which surely work good in W 8.1?
Second question: when I'll find one, how can I update it in an unbootable computer with only a mobile Internet connection? I've only got a USB pen drive for my Internet access.
Hope I was clear in explaining my problems. If no, I'm sorry.
Thanks a lot to everybody.

H

hjlbx

Hello sobi,

Here are some suggestions...and other MT members are sure to offer solid help.

You can create Emsisoft Emergency Kit rescue disk.

EEK supports most live CDs such as BartPE.

Just combine EEK and Live CD.

However, no Emsi products perform a boot-up scan (before Windows loads) as the scan engine is not configured to do so.

Rescue disk performance can be tricky...plus certain malware may prevent install/AV run.

Sometimes just renaming the AV something like iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc can solve the issue, but not always.

Sometimes there are issues running a rescue disk from a USB flash drive.

Did you try running the rescue disks with secure boot enabled?

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good morning to everybody.

First question: does it exist at least one AV live cd which surely work good in W 8.1?
Second question: when I'll find one, how can I update it in an unbootable computer with only a mobile Internet connection? I've only got a USB pen drive for my Internet access.
Hope I was clear in explaining my problems. If no, I'm sorry.
Thanks a lot to everybody.

1) Well all Antivirus Rescue live CD will all work as long it is capable to execute well, many factors as such the CD which may cause slowdowns on reading it especially USB too.

Other to look in: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/13-anti...-compared-in-search-for-the-best-rescue-disk/

2) Kaspersky Live CD does work on having mobile broadband

see here: http://support.kaspersky.com/us/8096#block2

Other rescue CD have available manuals to be downloaded so check them for guide.

;)

H

hjlbx

Hello sobi,

Did you get the reported issue sorted out?

No one wants to leave you "hanging."

There is Norton Bootable Recovery Tool: https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/nbrt.aspx

I would suggest that you try a rescue disk without any antivirus installed as I think it odd that every rescue disk with an AV component that you have tried on two separate laptops have not functioned.

I suggest these: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-rescue-disks-windows but there are many others.

If you experience further issues with the above rescue CDs, then the issue is not the antivirus.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing sometimes involves the process of elimination.

sobi

Thread author
Feb 24, 2015
Hello sobi,

Here are some suggestions...and other MT members are sure to offer solid help.

You can create Emsisoft Emergency Kit rescue disk.

EEK supports most live CDs such as BartPE.

Just combine EEK and Live CD.

However, no Emsi products perform a boot-up scan (before Windows loads) as the scan engine is not configured to do so.

Rescue disk performance can be tricky...plus certain malware may prevent install/AV run.

Sometimes just renaming the AV something like iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc can solve the issue, but not always.

Sometimes there are issues running a rescue disk from a USB flash drive.

Did you try running the rescue disks with secure boot enabled?

Thanks a lot, hjlbx, for your answer.
I've tried to run those rescue disk with secure boot enabled, but nothing happened and Windows booted normally without recognizing the CD or USB device for booting.
I think my notebooks are now not infected, but I'm trying something that could help me in case it happens and they are not bootable.
I'd like to use a multiboot rescue disk as Sardu or Hiren's boot Cd, but when I've tried to use their AV rescue (Comodo, Avira, Kaspersky, Dr Web, ..) I've seen that a lot of them didn't run well in W 8.1, while they run good in W 7.
So, I thought that the problem is secure boot, even if I disabled it.
In my little experience I've found just Norton Bootable Removal Tool and Windows Defender Offline running well, and nothing else for W 8.1.
The symptoms of their malfunctions was different, but normally the AV Rescues which don't work stopped themselves during installation, without any error messages.
I'd like to know which rescue cd or usb you've normally used in W 8.1 in Acer or Asus machine, according to the experience of this forum's members.
That said I thank you again for your kindness.

H

hjlbx

Hello sobi,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing such difficulties. I know it can be very frustrating. Sometimes there are no simple fixes as it is difficult to determine what exactly is causing the problem.

At least the Norton Bootable Removal Tool Works. It is a solid option.

My system is Toshiba so I cannot say much about your two laptops.

Unfortunately, I don't think rescue disks are widely tested as all focus is on standard AV software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.