Which AV is best suited for metered connections?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Hello folks!
While on vacation i was feeding on a very limited and metered connection. The antivirus was still gladly downloading hourly updates, program updates and other cloud stuff, all chipping away at my precious precious bandwidth quota.
This got me thinking. Which antivirus / security solution requires the least amount of internet activity, or can easily cut ties with the outside world?

Which security solution is best suited for a limited connection?

P

Plexx

I would say ESET but do edit the automatic updates under the scheduled tasks (edit the actual task and change the intervals for update checks). That is what I have done. I also said ESET since it is one of the solutions I am more comfortable with.

Hope it helps ya.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well I say Trend Micro here, it does an update every 3 hours.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Now that has got me thinking, Would a cloud antivirus such as Panda Cloud use less bandwidth or would a signature program use more...
1Azk1.gif

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
Now that has got me thinking, Would a cloud antivirus such as Panda Cloud use less bandwidth or would a signature program use more...
1Azk1.gif

It probably would, because Trend Micro being a cloud AV would and does.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.