Which browser do you prefer from a security and privacy viewpoint?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
For many years I had Chrome as my main browser but ever since trying Brave I have been using it as my main browser(with search engine set to DuckDuckGo). Brave natively seems to block ads, trackers and enforce HTTPS. From a privacy viewpoint Brave does not track users like Chrome does. The only con that I think Brave has that it does not update as frequently as Chrome. I will give Edge Chromium a try when the final version is released. So guys which browser do you use as your main browser and why?

Reactions: oldschool

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I found this on google Chrome's privacy policy page. Very interesting.

Like most websites, our servers automatically record the page requests made when you visit our sites. These "server logs" typically include your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.

Here is an example of a typical log entry for where the search is for "cars" looks like this, followed by a breakdown of its parts:

123.45.67.89 - 25/Mar/2003 10:15:32 - cars - Google Search - Firefox 1.0.7; Windows NT 5.1 - 740674ce2123e969

123.45.67.89 is the Internet Protocol address assigned to the user by the user’s ISP. D; depending on the user’s service, a different address may be assigned to the user by their service provider each time they connect to the Internet.;
25/Mar/2003 10:15:32 is the date and time of the query.;
cars - Google Search is the requested URL, including the search query.;
Firefox 1.0.7; Windows NT 5.1 is the browser and operating system being used.;
740674ce2123a969 is the unique cookie ID that was assigned to this particular computer the first time it visited a Google site. (Cookies can be deleted by users. If the user has deleted the cookie from the computer since the last time they’ve/s/he visited Google, then it will be the unique cookie ID assigned to their device the user the next time theys/he visits Google from that particular computer).

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Firefox in Firejail with AppArmor profiles in enforce mode, WebRender enabled and these tweaks. Bitwarden, Windscribe, HTTPS Everywhere and Emsisoft Browser Security for extensions.

Reactions: bribon77

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I know none, which meets both criteria. Security features require browser to call home and there goes the privacy.
TOR provides basic privacy and some security, since it uses noscript by default, but even that can be exploited.
To achieve a compromise, you can use some secure browser via an encrypted proxy, that should give you the most from both worlds.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Chromium (woolyss) stable portable
- it's basically Google chrome without resource-hogging extras: software_reporter_tool.exe (useless PUP scanner - powered by ESET), autoupdate services,... less Google's telemetry
- Use the same version as google chrome and its update is usually a few hours later than chrome, maximum 2 days
- Lighter than google chrome
- There are many options to choose: stable (same as chrome), ungoogled, dev, remove certain plugins... and it can be installed or used as portable

I don't want to use other browsers because I really like Google safe browsing and the extension support of chromium browsers

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
If I understand correctly, Brave is a derivative of Chromium and everything leads to the great "G". So I don't believe in his supposed privacy. I better go with those who are not Chromium derivatives. Firefox is the best today and for a long time. Greetings.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft is doing great things lately with Edge (Chromium) Dev.
Some articles on Ghacks about it:
So that's my preferred browser currently.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I like Brave because it is very privacy oriented; by the default it has an adblocker with script and cookies control, HTTPS everywhere, fingerprint protection, google tracking and telemetry removed, has autoplay video block and some other nice features.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave Beta for privacy while being secure. Edge Dev because it's new and has Smartscreen offers great security. Both have good configuration options. Edge Dev is the one I currently use most.

Brave is a derivative of Chromium and everything leads to the great "G".

Not exactly. See here: Brave, Chromium, Google, and your data

I've used Firefox and love it for the temporary containers, especially with CookieAutoDelete. This is such a unique privacy feature I wonder why it hasn't been adopted by any Chromium forks.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
g.jpg
:p

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Another forum talking about another browser but also applies to this one:

"Well, Vivaldi also uses Chromium the Google engine... and although they say they do not share data with the big "G" the engine is there and there are things that can not change ... and by the way privacy and anonymity are two different things on the Internet and for the latter not only gives you the browser."

Marcelo Rivero (former MVP and currently works for Malwarebytes)

I withdraw from the conversation as it is very technical and I do not have the necessary knowledge.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I know none, which meets both criteria. Security features require browser to call home and there goes the privacy.
TOR provides basic privacy and some security, since it uses noscript by default, but even that can be exploited.
To achieve a compromise, you can use some secure browser via an encrypted proxy, that should give you the most from both worlds.

TOR can also be defeated by using keystroke profiling

My vote goes to FF for its better privacy over security

FF is pretty secure in a way and you can tweet its preferences and with the extensions the privacy can be very much improved

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
On Linux I use Chomium with Firejail when I browse blindly with installed Proton VPN or Windscribe also installed.
In windows I use SiImjet with all the Armament that I have for security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.