Battle Which Browser Use Less Ram Usage Finally ?

Compare list
All Browser

gigi64

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
Which browser actually uses the least amount of RAM?
I would like you to know your opinion and share your experiences
I use Microsoft Edge myself and sometimes Firefox
---------------------
But recently When I use Chromium browsers After 10 Or 15 min(I tested), when there are 5 or 6 tabs open, my RAM Usage reaches 100% and the computer hangs...
I do not have a virus problem, I feel a bug and a problem with Chromium products

Reactions: Sammo and Nevi

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Like @Filipe said, you need to install the F-Secure extension in your browsers to use the full potential of F-Secure Safe.
Can be done from within F-Secure Safe.
You can make the AdGuard extension a bit lighter by using optimized filters and disabling checking for malware.
Try Opera and see if that solves your problem with chromium-based browsers.
If that works you can see if you can find a possibly misbehaving extension by disabling them all and activating them one by one in your other browsers.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Which browser actually uses the least amount of RAM?
I would like you to know your opinion and share your experiences
I use Microsoft Edge myself and sometimes Firefox
---------------------
But recently When I use Chromium browsers After 10 Or 15 min(I tested), when there are 5 or 6 tabs open, my RAM Usage reaches 100% and the computer hangs...
I do not have a virus problem, I feel a bug and a problem with Chromium products
you should post 2 screenshots when it nearly happens
1 is your task manager with all chromium's processes
2 is chromium's built-in task manager so we can see who causes it

I'm using chromium too. I have never experienced what your said and I have more extensions running

the common culprit I can find is facebook page, after you visit pages/groups which contain a lot of photos. The browser easily reaches 1-2GBs of RAM in very short time -> workaround: close the tab and re-open it after 10-15mins

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
For me, on an i3 laptop with 4 GB shared RAM, Slimjet (portable 32-bit) by far uses the least memory, seldom more than 350 MB. MS Edge is a close 2nd. Firefox (portable 64-bit) uses the most memory, but since v. 89 has improved greatly. Each browser has about 10 add-ons (mostly the same ones) and typically 5-6 tabs open.

I find the worst offender for memory use is 500px, followed by Flickr.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
For me it really doesn't matter as 99% of the time I have 2 or less tabs open, just use what I like best and for now thats Chrome.
A lot of people tell me Chrome is "memory-heavy," but when I used it I found it to be pretty light, even with 64-bit. The only real RAM hog I've used is Firefox, which unfortunately is the only browser that I can customize 100% to my liking.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.