Battle Which free antivirus give better protection combine with which free firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

potinglin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2013
I am now using Windows 7 64 bits and 4GB of RAM. Which free antivirus give better protection? Avast free Antivirus, AVG antivirus free, Avira free Antivirus, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition or Ad-Aware free Antivirus+? Regard to system resources usage. Which free firewall can be combine with one of these antivirus which you have chosen? Comodo Firewall, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall or Privatefirewall?

Icy

Level 2
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Best free antivirus:
brain-990x622.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@potinglin, I voted Avira/Privatefirewall which performed reliably & light, but this was my former combination for XP.:cool:
For our Windows 7 64 Bit 4 GB RAM, we use (correction from 'Windows') Microsoft;) Security Essentials AV & Windows Firewall:rolleyes: (boring, I know..) which were included on our system. The Windows Firewall, in my opinion, provides enough protection.
Antivirus
  • Avast

On-Demand
  • Malwareytes
That is the best you can get, and no firewall is needed.
@Fantasy, I've read good comments about Avast.:) Do your thoughts '..no firewall is needed.' indicate you find Windows Firewall is enough too?o_O

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
@potinglin, I voted Avira/Privatefirewall which performed reliably & light, but this was my former combination for XP.:cool:
For our Windows 7 64 Bit 4 GB RAM, we use the Windows Security Essentials AV & Windows Firewall:rolleyes: (boring, I know..) which were included on our system. The Windows Firewall, in my opinion, provides enough protection.

@Fantasy, I've read good comments about Avast.:) Do your thoughts '..no firewall is needed.' indicate you find Windows Firewall is enough too?o_O
Why would someone need a firewall that takes up systsm resources when you already have one built'-in ? :rolleyes:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Third-party firewall are not needed anymore on modern Windows, they are known to cause many issues like slow connection speed, compatibility problems, slow boot, network connectivity problems, slow torrent and file downloads, etc. Just use Windows Firewall.

For an AV, first you must control your own actions online- never download files from unknown sources and never run files without checking with for malware and always pay attention to UAC prompts, never approve anything unless you know for sure that it is safe.

After you have did the above then choose one of the free AV's.
1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender on Win8
4. Panda Cloud
5. AVG

Just remember if you are careless you can get infected using any AV product. Your actions will determine your level of protection not your AV.

Enjoy!! :D

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
in your case Personally I suggest you choice no doubt Avast!
Firewall is Comodo (not so importance to add Comodo or other Firewall,Windows7
was good enough FW protection),because you're on Windows 7. edited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Third-party firewall are not needed anymore on modern Windows, they are known to cause many issues like slow connection speed, compatibility problems, slow boot, network connectivity problems, slow torrent and file downloads, etc. Just use Windows Firewall.
I still dont understand why people are running after firewalls
a lot of problems as you mention

thats the best answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.