Advice Request Which FREE Windows 10 privacy tool are you using and why do you like it so much?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Forum members, I have a question

Tools like O & O shutup, W10Privacy, DisableWinTracking, PrivacyRepairer, Private Winten promise the user to take back some control over Microsoft's telemetry data gathering machine. Since I will be installing Windows10Pro soon on my desktop, I am interested to hear your opinions and experience.

In regard to privacy "resistance may be futile", but I don want to surrender without some civil disobedience against big data gathering. So I still want my applications to updates and be able to install apps from the Microsoft store, but "don't want my (interest) base belong to Mcrosoft and alike (Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Samsung etc). Suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards Kees

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_01082019_213915.jpg
    capture_01082019_213915.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 727
  • capture_01082019_213900.jpg
    capture_01082019_213900.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 633

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Thx is it easy to use find a good balance of settings?
Yes, it's quite easy to use. Check screenshots here Download WPD 1.2.940
Privacy settings have a on/off switch and a description about what they do.
Firewall rules add a block rule on windows firewall to block microsoft ips which collects telemetry data, so you can delete that rule to revert the changes.
The only not revertable part is the removal of store apps (you have to use powershell to place them back)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use O&O. And simplewall has options to block some telemetry. Too lazy to do anything more. I'd like to have something that'd improve the performance more than privacy right now though. Windows 10 has too much background processes eating resources.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I do not like using 3rd party tools, so I copy tweaks from them and do it myself, but this one surprised me:

Get Blackbird - Windows privacy, security and performance
You really like to kill W10 spywares. I use your tweaks in your signature at MDL forums to make W10 compact and near spyware-less.
100% of the users will recommend OOSP 10. I used it once on first build of W10 and currently I have memorized entire set of tweaks I apply through services.msc to kill telemetry and make W10 as optimised as possible. Now, I am evaluating Chef Koch's regtweaks, for now ignore OS independent section because it makes PCs too fast and operating it becomes undesirable. Others were okay and I'll integrate most of them on next version of W10 for slipstreaming updates.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Yogas are cool machines, I love my upgraded 520.
The more fancy Yoga 520's with higher specs are much better. She has the low end 520 Pentium with 128 GB SSD (it had to stay beneath 450 euro for me to deduct it from taxes in one time as business costs, so I had to keep it cheap :)) I put in extra 1 TB harddrive in het Yoga. Her old laptop was an Celereon 4600 (wih Seagate hybrid), so the Yoga still felt twice as fast.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Someone on this forum recommend me ShutUp10, and so far I like it. One problem is this software offer completely disable Windows Update service, but it doesn't work at all to me.

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.